Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Thousand Apologies

I'm at the beach and heading to Mexico today so you know that will be good.

I arrived here Friday night. As the good son-in-law, I flew down with Gram. Our travel was not without some funny escapades.... I'm wheeling her through McCarran Airport, during summer, and people are everywhere. They suddenly stop or weave and pushing a wheelchair at my usual amped up pace required serious manuevering skills. Once we got to the security line I was ambushed by TSI. Apparantly grandmothers in wheelchairs with knee replacements are high up on the list of terror suspects given the thoroughness of their search. They took her one way, and said to me, "you go that way...and take ALL the carry on luggage." Not good. I have a hard time getting through security with just my stuff - cpap machine, computer, pocketful of metal doohickeys, bling, glasses, sunglasses...I'm a 2 maybe 3 bin guy. Now chuck in Grammy's stuff - HER oxygen machine, shoes, carryon and what not, and I have the entire conveyor belt locked up with my gear. Whew....Next up, a walk through the metal detector. Didn't pass. Had to take my belt off. It didn't want to fit in the soup bowl so I just rammed it behind the little curtain all the while a dozen eyes were trained on me. Meanwhile, the people behind me are craning their necks, the line is getting longer, and I'm sweating like camel driver. I REPEAT FOR THE WORLD: When was the last time someone who wasn't a middle eastern man hijack an airplane? You have to go back to DB Cooper in the early 1970's. Profile those cats all day long. Stip search them but leave me and grammy alone.

More from the Baja later.

2 comments:

susan bunker said...

I wish I had been there! I would love to see you SWEAT!

Keith A. Runyon said...

But it was a clean sweat.. Irish spring