Sunday, August 31, 2008

It Has Begun







Football season has commenced. The wait is over. It's like a dark cloud has been lifted from overhead. The earth is back to spinning on its axis. All is as it should be. I can see clearly now.

At last.

For me, nothing compares to football. Between now and February I will be completely engrossed with college and pro football.

This time of the year also means that the heckling starts all over again. I loved watching my beloved Utes beat Michigan today in the big house even though the referees were on Rich Rodriguez's payroll. I would have loved to have been in Ann Arbor cheering for Utah.

Now the fun starts. I have to believe that Utah and BYU are on a collision course to meet for all the marbles on November 22. Winner goes to a BCS game, loser gets some crappy early December game against a team like Navy or Tulsa.

The BYU-Shi'ite fan is already preparing arguments that non-conference games against Washington, Northern Iowa and UCLA are proof that the program merits a BCS game no matter if they go 12-0 or 9-3. The shi'ite has also written in Max Hall's name for the Heisman Trophy that goes to the country's most outstanding player. For the next 3+ months I will hear all sorts of outrageous arguments about BYU and their greatness.
I just groan.

5 comments:

Alec and Tiffany said...

I was pumped to see that Utah beat Michigan. I especially loved when Whittingham said that the game was closer than it should have been and that we weren't even playing to the best of our ability. I love football season.

ACR

PS - ESPN analysts predicted a 10-6 season for the Eagles. What's your opinion?

Keith A. Runyon said...

Sports Illustrated has us going 12-4 AND representing the NFC in the Super Bowl.

It's true. Look it up.

steve said...

I'll make a prediction:

BYU storms the field when they beat the 5th place team in the Pac 10 to win the Las Vegas Bowl, and then they complain when UNLV storms the court when they win their 3rd straight MWC hoops tourney championship

Keith A. Runyon said...

Steve,
Double true on that prediction. The irony there is what I live for - makes for great blogging. Go Utah (football)
Go UNLV (basketball)
Yeah, I'm allowed to cheer for two schools.

Heidi said...

It Has Begun - all the football trash talk and I becoming a BYU widow. There goes our Saturdays!