Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Beach



Back at the beach. Janae's been here for 2 weeks and the rest of the crew came down about a week ago. We have a couple of days left to soak up some sun and then it's back to the 115 degree oven that is Las Vegas this time of year. I must confess that I do miss my dogs. Having them in the kennel for a week is rough on them and I'm sure we'll have some rowdy canines to deal with on Saturday but that's cool.

We trekked to Mexico yesterday. Always an interesting experience. Anyone can basically get into Mexico. There's a Mexican official at the border who is usually leaned back on his chair taking a siesta. Going the other way is an entirely different deal. The line to get back to the United States was long, and as anyone knows I don't like lines - I'll pay extra to avoid any type of line. So this guy comes up and says he can get us to the front of the line for $5 bucks each. I slap him a twenty and hurry off behind him up the left side passing all the other creatures in line. We get to the front and he basically pushes us in the front of some people - no special line, it was a scam. We went through the gate and 2 of the border guards point to Alec and Tiffany and tell them they have to go to the back of the line. Instead of leaving them alone in dusty Tijuana, we ALL went to the back of the line. 25 minutes later we were through. What a hassle.

I woke up this morning to some serious giggling. Pony, Jagger and Alec were on the deck with super soaker squirt guns. Apparently there was a couple making out in the jacuzzi and the kids thought it would be funny to douse them with water. "Make it Rain!" I support this sort of tomfoolery 100%.

Golf the other day was tough. We played the always beautiful Aviara. First mistake: Wade makes the time for 7am. We're the first group off the tee. Usually the only thing I'm looking at that hour is the inside of my eyelids. The grass was sopping wet at this time of the day so if you hit into the rough you needed a machete to hack your way out. The good part was that we were done early and went to Mary's to grab some breakfast and then go to the marine corps shop right next door. I wanted to get a purple heart so I would never have to pay for dinner again, but the lady said I needed papers signed by my XO (executive officer). I did hold it in my hand though. I opted for a tee shirt and dog tags.

Semper Fi.

6 comments:

Trent said...

So how did things go in Mexico? Are we going to be neighbors?

PS In our Elder's Quorum golf tourney my team took second place and I won the Closest-To-The-Pin award. I think I'm ready to take you on.

steve said...

who is jagger? all these nicknames are confusing. i love the pony man though. i'll try and draft a document that looks official so you can get the purple heart

Keith A. Runyon said...

Trent aka "The White Baron Davis": I loved Mexico and I loved the beach house. We are discussing the pros and cons over the weekend and would like to make a decision by Monday. 50/50 at this point.

Surfer Steve: Jagger is one of the kids. I have nicknames for everybody and they are funny too. Trust me. It's true. Look it up.

Trent said...

Best....nickname....ever.

Alec and Tiffany said...

We're already mission beach life. Thanks for a great week. We loved every second of it, even during the whoopings in Pinochle. Dangit...til next time.

Alec

Heidi said...

After spending a week with us at the beach Keith, I'm dying to know what nicknames you have for Andrew, me and our kids!!