Sunday, August 17, 2008

Day 17- No Socks






When I left 2+ weeks ago on vacation I made a vow to avoid socks and long pants for as long as possible.

Here's an update:

Aside from a round of golf one morning nearly 2 weeks ago, I have been able to keep socks off my feet for some 18 days straight now. I even made it to church on Sunday (twice) sans socks...sort of a style statement don't you think?

As far as the long pant thing goes....well I did manage to go without them for 9 days and then sported a pair (why do we call it a "pair" of slacks? think about it) for church on Sunday - and then for work during the week except for Friday when I wore my swim trunks. No big deal - I work the phones and email non-stop from 7am until 10pm. It's why I am known as "The Hardest Working Man in the Insurance Business." During the summer months, I do come home at least once a day to dive in the pool and cool off. Sometimes I do this 3 or 4 times a day. I told Janae that I believe I have spend more time in the pool this year, than in the previous 6 years combined. It's true, look it up.



During college and after I graduated, it was sort of a big deal to wear a suit to work everyday. That was the business climate in Chicago back in the day - still is I suppose. It doesn't matter so much in Las Vegas and certainly not to me. I think everyone should cultivate their own style. For me, slacks and a golf shirt are clean and comfy...plus I can dash out on the links for a quick round and only have to change my shoes. To be frank, guys in suits are, well...suits. Prone to being uptight, bottom line oriented, rigid people with leased Beemer's, mortgages, kids in private school, and a wife who likes to shop at Nordstroms.

As an empty-nester my role as a provider is diminishing. I acknowledge I will write fewer checks but for more money for the next few years :-). Serioulsy though, in four years or so my expenditures will be down to nearly zero dollars. Or at the most, I will be springing for grandkids toys, clothes and travel expeditions with the family. All good with me. I ABSOLUTELY adore our daughters-in-law...both official and unofficial. Tiff, you know I have your back. Amy...well...you rock. Either you or Jake fumble this deal and know that I will chase you for ETERNITY with a 9 iron. a shotgun and a pack of wild dogs behind me. Jake, don't feel any pressure by the way.

At church today Lenny Whiting spoke of his mission in England. Immediately he felt at ease when I came up afterward talking in my cockney accent and being a bloke. He smiled, laughed, and asked me where "one might find a spot of fish 'n chips." We laughed, patted each other on the back and moved on. A few mintues later I ran into Rishi Daulat who played tennis with the boys and graduated from Bonanza 2 years after Alec and a year before Jake. He attends the University of Texas and is one of the nicest young men I have ever met in my life. He came to see his friend Lenny speak. I am glad my sons were able to call Rishi a friend - he will be a successful adult no matter what field he enters. Props to Rishi.


My Sunday School class is cool. I have a rag-tag group of 15 year-olds who are trying desperately to fit in. Fifteen...think hard about that...what a tough year of our lives.

In class, I spend about 15 minutes on the lesson, and I take the rest of the time to work in how it (the lesson) fits into their every day lives and how they can be better people. The lesson today was from Alma and was about Mercy and Justice. Suffice to say that I put alot more emphasis on how this works in everyday life versus how it worked a few thousand years ago. My class seemed to get it....I hope so.

3 comments:

Janae' said...

Those feet are super soft "like a babies". Why? Because "sand is the best exfoliant" or some jibberish you like to tell me as mine crack and peal at the beach.

Muah!
jlr

Keith A. Runyon said...

Sand is a naturual pumice baby..keeps the skin exfoliated. It's true. Look it up.

Amy Albright said...

oh Keiff, I used to be able to say that I wasn't afraid of my possible future father-in-law. but now i'm deathly afraid!! ;) BTW I'm coming home for a week! I quit my job. From Friday to Friday I shall be in Vegas baby! I'll swing by