Saturday, August 16, 2008

Wow!






If anyone doubted my affection toward these Olympics allow me to say that I spent Saturday evening watching NBC's numbskull broadcast - they televised the ENTIRE women's marathon....complete with non-stop commentary. Sure it was a yawner but the swim events later in the night MORE than made up for it. Michael Phelps earned his 8th gold medal of these games (his 14th gold and 16th olympic medal overall) and Dara Torres who, at 41 years old, was outraced by 1/100th of a second, to earn a silver medal in the 50 free and later picked up another silver in a relay.

All of the events mentioned above were thrilling to watch and I had to keep from peeking at my computer since the actual races were contested a few hours ago. So much for NBC's sage programming. When the USA relay team was interviewed after the last race, the breaststroke dude who is sort of cross-eyed made a neat comment that LeBron and Kobe were in the stands to watch and he didn't want to "let them down."
You just get the feeling that Kobe spends all day looking at himself in the mirror and refuses to watch anyone else do anything. Seeing him in the stands was refreshing. Cool even. But I still hate the Lakers...although I am easing up on Kobe. Alittle.

So my Phelps predication was flat-out wrong. I had predicted a 6 for 8 games for him, but am glad he went 8 for 8. It's time to retire Mark Spitz - the guy gets dragged out in front of a microphone every 4 years and bungles his way through interviews although he did a decent job this year and praised Phelps as he should have....WE'll get tired of hearing about Phelps too in the next couple of decades, but just like Spitz...he earned it.

How about this Jamaican kid Usain Bolt who SMOKED the field in the 100 meters? He'll race again in the 200. I'm betting on the WR going down in that one too. I'd like to see this cat in an Eagle's uniform running pass routes for Don McNabb.

1 comment:

susan bunker said...

Keith,

Easing up on Kobe!!! That is what I like to hear:).

It's good to be back in the blog reading world! I have missed your commentary on life!

Susan