Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Adventures at TPC Summerlin....Again




I had to wonder why a lot of the employees were standing around outside the clubhouse this afternoon as I pulled up to park, hit some balls on the range, shoot the breeze with the bag boys, and then slammed some putts.

I found out why the folks were waiting soon enough.

Michael Jordan was playing the course today.

Yeah, THAT Michael Jordan.

The beverage cart gal was tooling around and when she caught up with us on #11, she apologized for the delay in service. She said,, "You know, Michael Jordan is playing today and it has slowed everything down."

One of my playing partners, Mike Rose, snapped his head around so fast upon learning this and stammered, "Who, wha...wha...what did you just say?"

"Don't let 'em know I told you, but Michael Jordan just teed off on the front nine." She said.

Wade calculated that he was likely on either 8 or 9 as we played 18. We were flying around the course, and we managed a quick 18 in under 3 hours

Mike immediately called his wife, "Ange, bring the BYU scrapbook AND our wedding album....AND my BYU Basketball Golf shirt....the one that says, 'Varsity' on it."

I was laughing my guts out. No wonder my scores were a tad bloated (84).

I then went into an impromtu comedy routine that was insane-funny. First of all, EVERYONE knows I am the reigning office 3-point champ. You have to beat me in order to earn the crown. I haven't been beat in years.

2nd point....EVERYONE knows I run the give and go better than Johnny Stockton. Give me a strong low-post player, and we can run circles around people. It's true, look it up.

To the point: I believe MJ pushed off when he hit the shot against Utah in the 1998 finals. It was the shot that broke an entire state's heart. The refs were too busy watching Michael to know what to call.

I desperately wanted to invite him over for a BBQ and school him in some pool basketball but the pace of play didn't allow us to time the round properly. He was playing in like an 8-some, and we sped around the course in like 3 hours.

I played poorly today. No excuse really. Nah, it wasn't Michael who had me all wound up. I just felt bloated and stiff......not my usual lean-mean-fightin machine self. Frustrating.

Janae and I met up with Miss Amy for dinner tonight and then wandered over to Dairy Queen for some ice cream. She is doing GREAT. We adore her.

2 comments:

Mooch said...

at least he wasn't playing in the group in front of you. I heard he is a slow player and doesn't like people pushing him and you know what happens next

Dixon Leavitt said...

i could take michael in pool basketball. i dont think he can take the all out/anything goes style of play we in the leavitt/runyon family have perfected.