Friday, August 29, 2008

McCain 2008





I arose this morning eager to learn of who John McCain selected as his running mate for the upcoming Presidential election. I pulled up CNN.com and that thud you heard was me hitting the floor.

I'm sure Sarah Palin is a nice person. I'm sure she has a good head on her shoulders. By now, we all know it's a pretty head but whats inside it? She has 2 years experience as Governor of Alaska, and a few years of being Mayor in a tiny town close to the arctic circle. I think she was also the runner-up for Miss Alaska. It's true, look it up.

Is this a person we are comfortable with being a heartbeat away from the Presidency?
Sure the job of vice president goes by largely unnoticed. The VP is like the losing team in the Super Bowl. If you think hard about it, the name will come to you...eventually.

Cabinet members and leaders in Congress get far more press than the VP. That is UNTIL something happens to the President. McCain is 71 years old. He looks old. He has battle scars. He too is a decent person. I like John McCain. I am concerned about his health. Does he have the motor to spend 4 years, let alone 8 years as POTUS? Look who is backing him up.

Surely if McCain wanted to pick a women he could have done better. Personally,I would rather see Hillary Clinton as his VP than this gal. At least a Clinton pick would have spiced up the election. Palin is so unprepared for the global stage that it is embarrassing. Romney, Ridge, Lieberman, Rice, Powell all would have brought leadership, experience and RESPECT to this race. Now? More questions. More debate about the person than about the issues we need to confront - the stumbling ecomony, the war in Iraq, our position about the Russia/Georgia dispute, North Korea, high fuel prices, crime, student education, etc... We have plenty of work to do at home yet we're going to spend the next 65 days watching republicans point their fingers at democrats - and vice versa.

Didn't McCain attack Obama for his lack of experience and now he's brought in someone even more inexperienced than Obama? Is McCain trying to lure the women vote, ie Hillary supporters, by having a female running mate? If this is true, then it's a pathic move. I'm sure his next choice would have been an African American to try and suck votes away from Obama. To think the electorate will vote along racial and gender lines is juvenile. It worked in Junior High. It won't work at this level.

I watched Palin speak this morning on CNN and she had alittle bit of the "deer in the headlights" look on her face. Granted, she probably got the call to fly to Columbus last night and that would put anyone on edge, but I remain skeptical of this decision to have her as the VP running mate.


This is going to be an interesting election. I only hope that McCain can pull it off.

McCain 2008

2 comments:

Dixon Leavitt said...

After some initial skepticism on my part, I like her, although I hadnt thought of the whole mccain dying at any moment thing. I will say she is the first person in this whole election process that I have liked. It will be an interesting two months, only two weeks until SNL starts up again, that is the best part of elections

Alec and Tiffany said...

I did some research on her and I like what she stands for. I give her a thumbs up until I think that she would be POTUS if McCain were to pass away. Having her as our Commander in Chief worries me, though. Go McCain.

ACR

Jake has been gone TOO LONG. He said in his email that he wants Obama. What are they feeding him?