Friday, June 20, 2008

Mercury Rising

Wow was it cookin' today in Las Vegas....When I got into my car at 2pm, the thermometer said it was 115, and after I got going, it cooled down to a comfy 105.

Teed off at 2:30 and thanks to my golf lesson the other day (BO KNOWS GOLF), I was able to pull off a 76 and pretty much pull a Celtics on my competition. Not even close. The match was essentially over at the turn - beating my partners by 9 and 14 shots respectively was a beat-down of Beantown proportions. I love golf.

I took a half-hour lesson at the club a few days ago. I had the feeling I was just a hair off on some things and my shots weren't as crip as I wanted them to be. It turned out my alignment/setup wasn't quite right....just a skosh off. Bo changed my stance by a few millimeters, and by grip by MAYBE 10 degrees. That day I went 79. Today I switched to putting left-handed (something I did last year for about 6 months) and rolled the ball great. Putting lefty easy saved me 2 or 3 shots.

The downside of this is that I was COOKING by the time the round ended. I raced home, and flopped in the pool and sank to the bottom to cool off. Whew. We ordered some Outback for dinner and will wait for the kids to finish up the wedding rehearsal dinner they're at for Destiny and Chase. We look forward to seeing them.



S O M E P E R S P E C T I V E



Oil is at $124 bucks a barrel (a barrel = 42 gallons)

2% Milk? $147 bucks a barrel

Tropicana Orange Juice: $226

Bud Light: $302

Louisiana Hot Sauce: $520

Jack Daniel's Whiskey: $3,368

Chanel No. 5 Perfume: $102,144

And we have to FIND the oil first, then DRILL for it, then PUMP it to the surface and get it to a refinery.

Maybe, just maybe, we've been UNDERPAYING for gas for our entire lives.

Something to think about.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Who was the competition? Chase and Hannah?

steve said...

umm, i don't use 16 gallons of milk a month

steve said...

nor do i use 16 gallons of milk a week. i meant week. thinking about getting a scooter that goes 35 mph. like the one they use in dumb and dumber to get to aspen. yeah, that's the way to go....

Dixon Leavitt said...

You know the whole temperature being higher when the car is stopped is a problem in the c-class. Maybe if you were to make the upgrade to a real Mercedes it wouldnt make that mistake

Keith A. Runyon said...

Uh, it's the 'S' class dude.