Wednesday, June 18, 2008

From the Sports Desk

How about that 39 point blowout last night? The Celtics put a hurt on the Lakers. The point spread is sufficient that I don't even have to add any supplemental trash talk. We all know who the best team in the NBA is.

I did cringe like the rest of America though when Kevin Garnett went all ghetto while being interviewed by Michelle Tafoya after the game. What was he SAYING? Me thinks his SAT score was A LOT lower than Kobe's. Scary.

As the game winded down,I was hoping to see Kobe explode into red vapor due to being so angry. You know, go into that Bobby Knight "danger" zone where the blood pressure red lines. I'm pretty sure I saw Kobe leave the court pointing to his teammates, coaches, and general manager, "You're fired, you're fired, and you are definitely FIRED." But that's just me - maybe my lip reading needs work.

The big news today is that Tiger needs major knee surgery and will miss the rest of the season. That loud croaking sound you heard around 9am was the collective groan of tournament directors all over the world seeing their gate decrease by 50%. Who wants to watch a tournament without Tiger?

In retrospect, he beat the best players in the world on one leg. I'm pretty sure he could beat me blindfolded.

With the NBA finals ending, and the US Open over with we enter the "dead zone." this is simply where meaningful sporting events are few and far between. That is until September when college football and pro football return.

Sure we have a tennis tournament here and there, the British Open and the PGA....but they mean nothing without Tiger. I may not even watch. Baseball? The highlights all look the same; guys just racing around bases. And we are tortured by ESPN when they show baseball highlights on Sportscenter AND follow that up with Baseball Tonight. Enough already.

The Olympics are this year - coming to us from China beginning in August. I'm not a big Olympic guy for several reasons. First of all - waaaaay to many sports. Second - waaay too many fans if you go there live, and if you don't, the time change from China is like what, 2 1/2 days? We went to Atlanta for the 1996 games and sat next to some sweaty Europeans, I WANTED them to light up a smoke they smelled so bad. People everywhere.

Seriously, we don't run backwards so why do they give a medal for swimming backwards?
Hammer throw? How about 3 legged sack race? Darts? Bowling? why are these not in the games? I know, I'm jaded. Give me track and field, swimming,(select events only) cycling, rowing (but not kayaking or yachting) and basketball. Gymnastics? Nope. Scoring is too subjective. Weightlifting is okay too.... Horsejumping? Nope. Volleyball? Only if they let kickball in. Did skateboarding make it this year?

See what I'm saying? They've diluted the medal pool. I also don't like the idea of giving out silver or bronze medals. If you aren't the lead dog, the scenery never changes. 2nd place means you lost.

6 comments:

steve said...

i really like the olympics. rowing and some of those sports are boring. i don't mind the kayaking though. i also liked curling in the winter olympics, i was way addicted to that. maybe my SAT score was just higher than yours so i can understand more sporting events! just kidding...

why is golf not a sport? and why do we not send our best professional baseball players to play in the olympics. good news was when i was in college, the world record holder for women in the pole vault was Stacy Dragila. She told me i was "cute." Well, she told the girl i was dating that trained with her on the track team that i was "cute." anyway, that is my claim to fame. I wonder if she still vaults?

Janae' said...

Steve-

I'm pretty sure she took that gold medal, wore it proudly while she posed for playboy and now stars on some reality game show somewhere....well at leaast that is what I would have done.

Janae'

PS...I LOVE THE OLYMPICS....bring on the Opening ceremonies with all the flags and athletes. I love most of the Sports in Summer and Winter...except boxing and not real big on Olympic Basketball. (Other than the playoffs...I'm more a college hoops girl)

Trent said...

Euro 2008. Look it up.

steve said...

euro 2008....yawn....

world cup 2010!

Keith A. Runyon said...

Soccer is WORSE than the olympics. I'd rather be strapped in a dentists chair watching Real Housewives of Orange County.

Alec and Tiffany said...

I like the Olympics except. I love looking at the medal count to see how we dominate. Makes me feel good even though I'm not out there competing.

USA basketball better not disappoint us this year...

The one part that I don't like is the Opening Ceremonies and that is only because of past experiences...i.e. a certain family member making us sit and watch as EVERY country comes out with their flags...If only we had Tivo that year....