Friday, June 27, 2008

75....with a Bullet

I played today with Mike and started today's round off well....birdie on #1 (admittedly #1 is an easy hole). In between my rollercoaster ride was tame compared to yesterday. I did make birdie on #17 and #18 to beat Mike by 1 shot in my most competitive round probably EVER.

Mike actually birdied 4 holes in a row to shoot a 35 on the front. That was an AMAZING display of golf prowess and I seriously doubt I will ever see that feat accomplished again. 4 in a round? Sure. Easy. 4 in a row? Did hell freeze over?

Mike doubled 15 and 16 to let me back in as I made par on those holes....then my two birdies sealed it. 75 and another personal best on that course. I plan on working out some things on the range tomorrow, and then hopefully going 36.....or even 72 holes if I could be so blessed.

I enjoy playing with Mike. He's a good golfer, plays at a good pace, stays out of the way when I'm swinging, and is generous with his "gimme" putts. All of these traits are critical in a golf partner. Mike passes this test as do Wade, Steve and a few others. It's tough to find guys who don't email and talk on their phones between every shot, or look for their golf ball longer than 10 seconds (I will buy you a new one). My Doc says I need to relax when I play - with a few of the fellas, I actually get to do that. Thanks dudes.

I made ANOTHER trip to my mom's house after golf to put together her umbrella. As always, whatever my mother purchases, there is always something that happens which makes even the smallest task seem like a NASA project. As usual, I ended up with extra washers, screws, bolts, etc....I just pocket them since my mom would grill me like a Nazi if I left them out. "What are those for? Why didn't you use those? Will the umbrella still work?" You could see steam coming out of my ears if you looked closely. I love my mom though. She loaded me up with 3 nights worth of food since Janae remains some 9000 miles away for the next 8 days. Between me and the dogs, we'll polish this stuff off tonight.

Tomorrow is wide open. I'll check out some Wimbledon tennis and think about last year when we wuz in London. I like London alot but the currency exchange rate is so out of whack, I don't think I'll ever go back. Wimbledon is quaint and a good 30 minute ride from downtown. It's in the suburbs and everything is manicured just perfect. It's actually a bit too staid. Having been to the US Open and Roland Garros (aka French Open) as well, my vote for the best tournament to attend is, easily, Roland Garros. I love the French. I love Paris...the restaurants, museums, its history, etc.....I also found the French people to be very kind. They are unfairly portrayed as snobs.....they are people, just like us, trying to do the best they can in a crazy world.

Janae! We miss you! The fridge is empty but that's okay. Have fun in Australia and we look forward to seeing updated photos on your blog each day! I hope the bungee jump went well. WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

1 comment:

Alec and Tiffany said...

75? stellar! I made myself go study at school today because with Wimbledon on I get too distracted!

ACR