Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Dog Days of Summer

We're entering "The Dog Days of Summer," folks. This common saying was originated by the Greeks and coincides with the time of year, July - August when "men weaken and women become aroused." Perhaps they meant cranky and we just goofed up the translation? After all, we're guys. We take arousal seriously.

The Dog Days refer, as one would presume, to the Dog Star, or Sirius (aka Scorching - it's true, look it up). Sirius is the 2nd brightest star in the sky behind only our own sun. Sirius holds a prominent place in astology and is part of the constellation, Canis Major. Canis Major is one of Orion's (the Hunter) two dogs who are fighting another celestial constellation, Taurus (the bull). By the way, Orion is mentioned in the bible twice - once in Job and once in Amos.

It's hard to make out the constellations in the night sky living in Las Vegas with all of the reflected light but in the mountains, or on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean, the stars are literally on top of you....always amazing.

Now you know.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Keith: Me thinks wikipedia is your best friend!

We need a post about football season being 2 months away. I CAN'T WAIT!

Keith A. Runyon said...

Me tinks you are right.

Camp starts later this month so I'm counting that. I don't like preseason football but at least its football if that makes sense. I will devote a blog post to this phenomenon.

Alec and Tiffany said...

My dad once told me that it was important to know a little about every subject so that if the subject was ever brought up I would still be able to pitch in and participate. Sounds like tonight's info is from good ol Wiki but I would guess that most of the other info that he throws out in other posts is from the top of his head...GENIUS!

PS - are you that bored with mom gone that you read wikipedia in your spare time!? Mom needs to hurry home! And if you have that much time I think you should come write some term papers for me! :)

Keith A. Runyon said...

Alec,
I already knew about Orion, the dogs, and even the dog days of summer...Wikipedia provided the info about "men weakening and women become aroused," which I found quite interesting. No wonder so many children are born in the spring. It's true. Look it up.

Heidi said...

There is no shame in wiki. Got to learn cocktail party wisdome somewhere.