Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Walk Out

I did something last night I have never done.

I walked out of a movie before it was done. The movie was offensive only in that it the plot was so bad and I that I was swindled out of $20 bucks. Janae was squirming in her seat from the get-go, and I kept wanting the film to pick up speed. Instead, it laid an egg.

The movie was a sequel of a previously great trifecta of films; the first of the series debuted in 1981. I'm writing, of course, about the 4th Indiana Jones movie. ALIENS? Indy holding a "crystal" skull that looked like it came from Walmart and was stuffed with saran wrap? Or how about the scene where Indiana survived a nuclear blast by hiding out in a lead-lined refrigerator?

Even the beginning was curiously bad. Usually these movies have James Bond-like starts that rivet your attention. Instead, we were treated to cars racing through the desert.

As a HUGE Indy fan, I knew this was coming. Perhaps its why I waited so long to see this film since it opened in late May. The first 3 installments of the franchise were over-the-top great filmmaking. I also saw each of them with my dad and that made the memory even better.

Aliens? Lousy Russian accents? Harrison Ford going through the motions? Shia LeBouf a tough guy? Frankly, I think I could have wrote a better script.

And now I'm out $20 bucks.

Oh, and another $5 spot for a cold drink. How do families afford this today?

7 comments:

steve said...

we don't. we wait til it comes out on dvd and rent it. christina and i have seen 3 movies in theatres since 2006. special date nights we call them.

oh, and it is "written" not "wrote" a better script.

Alec and Tiffany said...

wow. Walked out? I haven't seen it yet...since I've heard mixed reviews about it I'll probably just wait til it comes out on RedBox so I only lose $1 if it stinks ;).

ACR

Alec and Tiffany said...

Steve. Looks like we have something in common. I should be studying, you should be working...what has blogging done to us!?

ACR

Dixon Leavitt said...

horrible movie

Chase + Destiny said...

i hvent seen it yet either...i guess i will wait til it come out on DVD to!

steve said...

Alec,

don't study too hard. Somebody needs to beat your dad at golf, and it might as well be you!

Heidi said...

Movies we should have walked out of:

1. The Gods Must Be Crazy 1-Infinity
2. As Good As It Gets (stupid movie)
3. Others I can't remember right now.