Saturday, July 5, 2008

O U C H!

I'm flying around the golf course yesterday, playing good and playing fast like I like it and come to the green on #9. I stuck my wedge shot a foot from the flag - a kick-in birdie. My playing partner was in a greenside bunker and just hit his approach shot to the green - 20 feet or so from the flag. Just then, a big gust of wind kicked up, and blew the scorecard off the cart. As I chased after the card, Bruce was lining up to hit a second shot out of the bunker for practice since he happened to find another ball in there. As fate would have it, of all the places that ball could go; 180 degrees from impact with variable distances, literally, from 3 feet to 500 feet depending on the velocity of the shot, the ball smacked me in the face - THWACK! I stopped dead in my tracks, Bruce rushed over completely pale and was apologizing profusely. The ball hit me just above my lip and off to the side of my nose. My inside of my mouth was bleeding and the outside started to swell up a bit but I shrugged it off. Poor Bruce was a mess and I repeatedly told him, "It's no big deal." To prove it, I shot a 38 on the back nine and beat him by one shot. As I told him, it was a calculated move on my part to get hit in the face.

Seriously though, I've been hit twice now with a golf ball, and it stings. The first time I got hit on the leg when I was in college. There are alot of reasons why that could have happened and I do remember have the imprint of the dimples of the golf ball on my leg for a few days afterward. Perhaps I can sue Titleist? Bruce? TPC? The club manufacturer? The golf cart company? The guy who was previously in the sand trap? Steve/Andrew: you are my legal team, let's move on this. Plus I want to sue the guy from college who hit my like 30 years ago. He's dead now, but can we still file a case?

I have now come up with a new TPC Summerlin Checklist. In addition to the usual golf stuff like balls, bag, clubs, and what not, I'm now required to pack the following:

1. First Aid Kit
2. Gun
3. Extra clip of ammo
4. Helmet
5. Cup
6. Boxing gloves

Iz all good though.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the cup for?

Keith A. Runyon said...

Need cup to protect against frontal hits.

steve said...

statute of limitations probably have run on the guy from college. plus, he is dead, etc...

you could probably sue the other people, but then there is that assumption of the risk element, along with the fact that it would be difficult to find the guy whose ball it was originally.

maybe you should just become a member at las vegas golf club on decatur and washington. seems safer there!

Keith A. Runyon said...

Thanks for the legal advice Steve (aka "Squire")

Yeah, at TPC I need to keep my head on a swivel. I'll have to use my "Sue Everybody" mentality on something else....dang!

Alec and Tiffany said...

No pictures?