Thursday, July 3, 2008

B O R E D to D E A T H

This morning, sitting at my desk, I became B O R E D to D E A T H! Even more than usual. Seems like most people have left the sizzle of the desert for cooler climates and my phone hasn't rang one time. Since it's so quiet, I decided to play golf today at 1pm.....big surprise there. I was out there with the lizards and one of my golf pals. We don't mind the heat, at least that's what we tell ourselves, as we stumbled out of our golf cart after 18 holes only to make a tee time for tomorrow afternoon when it will be hotter. No big deal. Didn't play that good but still shot an 80.

I was in the backyard this morning reading the paper while the dogs ran around doing their business. At 730am I was too hot. I had to crawl back inside to cool off.
Times like this I think how nice it would be to live in a cooler climate...Lake Tahoe and it's beautiful scenery; Seattle, and it's cool rain, green trees, and Starbucks (iced drinks ONLY); Portland, and it's....well, I know it rains there and they have a great steakhouse called Ringside, and Sunriver is only a few hours away and possible my favorite summer place of all time; then there is San Francisco, 40 minutes from my boyhood home....cool in the summer, cold in the winter, but full of neat stuff to do, GREAT golf courses, GREAT restaurants....very cool place; and don't forget lovely British Columbia...I'm thinking of Vancouver... Robison Street has some kickass shopping, they have great food there, scenery is spectacular, and with all these places, it is nice and cool at night, and pleasantly warm during the day. Winter at any of those places though? Forget it! Anywhere east of Denver you have to deal with humidity and I don't like what that does to my hair. East is out. Looks like I'm stuck. It's nice to dream though.....Sunriver....hmmmmmnnn, interesting.

Check it out...when it heats up, the critters begin to creep into the house. I found 2 scorpions yesterday that were swiftly crushed by the bottom of my golf shoe. Like most people, though, I picked up the carcass with extreme caution...as if it would still attack me perhaps. Funny how we jump at little things like spiders...scorpions....they are what, 1/5000th of our size yet people are scared to death of them....especially Janae and Jake.

I've had the house to myself for quite some time now.....I've noticed I only go into 4 rooms. Kitchen, family room, bedroom, and office. I could even manage without the kitchen if I had too. Laundry room? I could have all my stuff laundered if I wanted to. Basement? In remembrance of Jake, I've been down there like 3 times since he left. It is just not the same without Jake-the-Snake (or Alec) in the home.....I will wait until either Alec or Jake is home to bust out the ping pong table or the pool table. Of course Megan and Carli make good opponents too....bring it on girls!

Life is good. Tomorrow is the 4th of July. I'll get some lunch at the club with friends, play golf with my golf bachelor-brothers, and then take my mom out for dinner and then grab a seat somewhere in the valley to watch fireworks. The fireworks is Moms idea NOT mine. Fireworks don't do anything for me...seen one fireworks show and you've seen them all. And the little piddly ones people do in their front yards? PUH-LEEZ!!!! I want to throw gas or gunpowder on them to make the flames bigger but Janae always opposes me..."too dangerous" she says.

Good stuff on the History channel tonight...woohoo!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keith, I agree about the fireworks completely. One week alone is a vacation, two begins to wear on a soul. Ask Steve about our annual burning of G I Joe during fireworks. Never commented before but I like your blog.
Mark

Keith A. Runyon said...

Mark!
I grew up in the GI Joe era.....Johnny Quest, etal. I'll check with Steve when he gets back from Idaho. Glad you like the blog! You guys going to Oceanside this summer? We are there last week of July and first week of August.
Keith

Anonymous said...

your going but the rest of us aren't not this year anyway, Sarah was going to go up with Wade and them the first week of august but realized she had efy so she's upset and we're all dealing with it.(plus i wasn't invited!)