Friday, July 4, 2008

The Happiest Guy in the World

I must confess....it's me. I'm the happiest in guy in the world. Here's why....

My wife returns home tomorrow. I'm lucky. After 2 1/2 DECADES, I still adore my wife. My heart skips a beat when I see her phone number on my cell phone, or when I see her in a crowded room. I love her smell, her smile, her laugh, her voice, and all the things that make Janae the fun, beautiful person she is. I give her the best compliment I can possibly offer up: She makes me a better man.

Janae has been gone for nearly 2 weeks now and while I have survived on take-out, my mom's cooking, Coco's help with the house, and the wonderful company of friends and my beloved animals, especially my dogs, I can honestly say, without hesitation, that my life isn't quite right while she is gone. I can't wait to see her tomorrow. I'm old school....I love my wife. She's my best friend.

Granted though, my golf game has improved during her absence and I'll have engage in a deeper analysis to see why that is, but all else isn't quite the same while she has been gone....my burgers don't taste as good....diet pepsi's seem to have lost just a bit of their fizz, the air that I breathe isn't quite as pure.....it's true Janae, you inspire me. You make me laugh and giggle...and feel like a little boy. Life without you is just "okay," despite my shooting some incredible good golf scores. Quite simply: You rock my world.

Next up is my relationship with my family. My brother lives in Denver, my mother lives a few miles from us up in Summerlin, and my in-laws, with a few exceptions, are all pretty much close by. I'm realistic to understand that we all don't see things eye-to-eye all the time, and we will have disputes, arguments, hurt feelings, and so forth. Life is like that. The nice part is that we are all able to put any animosity aside (and hopefully behind us), and still participate in family gatherings. In the scheme of things, our petty differences mean nothing. I hope those reading this post today or in 10 years, or 100 years will acknowledge that the love, friendship, loyalty, and trust of friends and family are the single most important thing we can cultivate in our lives.

I also am grateful for a fun and rewarding job. As with any career, the beginning can be a struggle. I struggled. We will all struggle. But I also persevered as I hope everyone will do the same regardless of what profession they choose to enter. My dad used to say, "I've been rich and I've been poor - rich is better." I like that phrase but know that he said it tongue-in-cheek...sort of. I submit this: Have a passion for what you do, and, in time, financial rewards will follow. Not everyone will have a mutliple homes, or cars, boats or airplanes - in fact, few will achieve a level of that sort of wealth. Those material things are nice, but they don't make up for the time you devote, unequivocally, to your loved ones. Trust me, your kids would rather have you coach their sports teams, or be at their recitals than you out there trying to make an extra buck to buy a bigger house, or another car. I've been so lucky to be able to earn a good living and also be able to be there for the important moments in our childrens life. Harold B. Lee said, "The most important of the Lords work you and I will ever do is within the wall of your own home." I think of that phrase E V E R Y single day.

I'm also happy that my health has finally returned to normal....or at least to better health. The meds I take cause me to put on some weight, but I'm okay with that. I feel strong and still like to race around a tennis court. The magic sleep machine corrected my sleep apnea to the point where I have my energy back - my life back. I spend between 5 and 6 hours a night on that contraption.....the other hour or two I squeeze in without it.....it's odd, but I rip that thing off every morning between 5 and 6 and squeeze in alittle "normal" sleep.

To maintain my health, I also take alot of pills. Janae and I laugh when we look all the stuff next to our respective bathroom sinks. I EASILY beat her in number of prescription drugs and over-the-counter meds including vitamins, flaxseed oil, red yeast rice, niacin, shark cartiledge, etc. that we take. At 30 years of age I took NOTHING. Now? I probably pop 20 pills a day.

Another great thing in my life is that our boys are good men. This pleases me. Alec is a good husband, a world-class academic, and has a huge heart. He will be a great doctor. The world needs people like him.

Jake too is a great young man. He has set aside 2 years of his life to serve our as a missionary for our church in Ecuador. He left a lovely young girl (Holla to Amy! Fo shizzle girl!), classes at UNLV, a 42" plasma tv in his room, a new SUV, and a career in our family insurance business where I know he will enjoy success, all to walk the dirt roads of Ecuador to tell people about the Gospel of Jesus Christ....just as his brother Alec did in dusty Peru.

Their sacrifice and example of goodness humble me. I love them more than anything. They are my best friends and always will be. I know how lucky I am.

When I add it all up, how could I consider myself to be anything less than the happiest guy in the world? Anyone else comes in a distant second place. Sorry.

Cheers.

3 comments:

steve said...

next time can I write the prologue? Good post!

Amy Albright said...

That post was just the most precious thing on the planet!! I can see why my Jakie is so tender. :)

Dixon Leavitt said...

Flaxseed oil???? I think Barry Bonds already used that excuse. We all know you are juicing, hence the improved golf game...;(