Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Greatest Day





As i have aged and become wiser I have realized that the very best times in my life involve my family.

Today, I was blessed to spend an afternoon at the club with Alec, Dixon, Wade, Chase and Janae - who found our group after a 20 minute search.

Wade and I play a lot of golf together, but we rarely play with our sons since they live out of state. When asked to take up golf many, many years ago, the boys all pretty much blew us off. I even said, "After you guys get home from your missions, you are going to be sorry you didn't take up golf."

As expected, Alec and Dixon agreed with me. It's a pity really. Canyon Gate CC was a stone's throw from the house and they could have EASILY spent a half-dozen summers playing golf, and charging chicken fingers to our bill. Chase, who is still in high school and goes by the nickname "Pony" still won't take up this greatest of games.

Anyway, today was special. We slammed a few balls at the range, and then went to the first hole to tee it up. Everyone hit their tee shot in a different direction, but the spirit of the game, and the love that permeated our group was truly remarkable. Golf became a side bar...we trash talked, we hollered, we high-fived, we knuckle bumped, and we laughed like there was no tomorrow. When things couldn't get any better, Janae pulled up! As always, my heart just swelled up when i saw my sweet, funny, lovely Janae. I actually have to pinch myself sometimes as I say to myself,, "I am the lucky man who gets to lie down next to her each night." I am so grateful for all she does for me....

Janae "You rock my world."

We only played nine holes but had plenty of laugh, created a new nickname for Chase (Pony) and I was able to beat everyone....again. You know I was happy.

6 comments:

steve said...

you could almost jump over my iphone with those hops!

Alec and Tiffany said...

When we going again!?!

ACR

Alec and Tiffany said...

I want to go next time!

Tiff

Alec and Tiffany said...

http://quotation-marks.blogspot.com/ You'll enjoy this.

Heidi said...

Keith--I'm going to have to ask you to do one of two things: (1) button up at least one button on the polo, or (2) buy some crew neck Gs. The non-buttoned polo with no crew neck undershirt look has never been in style. It's true. I looked it up.

Keith A. Runyon said...

The open-neck polo shirt is my signature look. Drives the cart girls crazy.

It's true. Look it up.