Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Sleep Test #2

Sleep test #2 is back and it's official.....I am the worst apnea case that they have seen at the Box Canyon facility in 1000 plus cases.

I didn't laugh this time.

Test #2 was done 8 days ago and involved hooking me up to an oxygen machine while I slept, in addition to all the other doohickeys. This produced WORSE results than without using oxygen thus causing my overall ranking to soar the top of the list.

Zero minutes REM sleep, 180 arousals versus only 118 on the first test, and strangely, twice the number of minutes below 90% oxygen saturation - WITH THE OXYGEN. This thoroughly confused Doc Molin. Me? I just shrugged my shoulders - he wasn't the type to joke about anything. In my estimation judging from the accent, the clothes, and the hair, I suspect he is European - with absolutely no sense of humor. Admittedly, at the time I was too tired to work up a good routine but I was also trying hard to listen to his doc-speak and integrate with the info I was able to glean from my many hours of internet research.

Next up is a visit with a cardiologist to see if my heart is functioning as it should. I'm not too worried about this since I reckon if it was really bad, they would have sent me down the hall but then again, they probably had to run it by insurance first and everyone knows how thoroughly goofed up that is. The irony here is that someone making $8 bucks an hour has to approve a procedure that could cost thousands. Maybe it's just me, but I don't have too much confidence in the people answering phones at ANY call center.

This week I start my oxygen treatement at night. Special order unit for Keith! This contraption will differ from the machine I was tested on last week and will maintain pressure as I breathe in and out AND provide heated, humidified air so baby won't dry out his sinuses. Apparently it will also require "professional" setup because the oyxgen levels have to be calibrated just so. If this were left up to me (and I read no instructions. Ever.) I would simply turn the dials to maximum, strap the mask on,and then holler 10 seconds later,

"Janae! It's not working right!"

This is why I am not allowed to play with the machine.

I'm optimistic that I'll be my old self within a week or so...got places to go and things to do.

Just heard from Elder Runyon in hot, humid, muddy Ecuador.... He is doing GREAT. I'm keep track of everyone who writes him while on his mission and who doesn't write him. You don't want to be on the latter list.

Trust me.

7 comments:

Rowe Family said...

Welcome to our world!! UGH!! It took Brad a long time to get used to the breathing machine. I haven't yet..but it is by far better than the snoring!!! Good luck with all the heart work up!! I'm sure it will go better than Brad's (dang family genes)

Trent said...

Don't worry, I'll eventually get a letter off to Jake. And I will use all my persuasive powers to convince him to come up to Provo once he's done. Then you'll be left with two choices: 1)disown him, and Elizabeth and I will adopt him so we can be the worlds youngest grandparents in a few years, or 2)reconcile your differences with the Brigham Young University.

steve said...

lullabies help me sleep. and a little elmo goes a long way, trust me....

susan bunker said...

Keith, seriously, how do they expect you to get to REM sleep when you're all hooked up and their running in and out yelling at you for touching stuff? I can't believe you ever fell asleep in the first place! Hopefully, you'll be like new in no time, right?

steve said...

keith,

just go ahead and cc me on one of your letters to jake. that should count as me sending him one. that way i'm not on the bad list.

steve

Mooch said...

Holy Crap! It's getting worse not better. Maybe they could just pump oxygen into the house. I'm reading a book right now that takes place in the Himalayas and the Hotel they are staying in has oxygen pumped in so people can function at those altitudes, especially to sleep. Let's give that a try

Heidi said...

Nary a Mother's Day post? Janae is so patient....