Monday, May 12, 2008

Mothers Day Recap

I'm alittle behind....

Mothers Day, as always, is a great, great day. It is a day to honor mothers everywhere. I am blessed to have a wonderful mom, and a wife who is a great friend and mother to our sons. We had brunch at the house since Alec and Tiffany were down from Salt Lake and had to hit the road by noon.

Yesterday we were also fortunate to talk to our dear, dear Jake who is serving a mission for our church in Guayaquil, Ecuador. Jake is currently in Machala, Ecuador just south of Guayaquil and is a stone's throw away from where Alec served in Peru. In fact, their missions are adjacent to one another so I'm sure they will have a lot to talk about when they are reunited.

Janae laughs at this, but my idea of the world is somewhat warped in that I am AMAZED to find signs of civilization anywhere except the United States.....oh....and of course England. In my mind, the rest of the world is woefully behind the United States in every way. This is evidence of the fact I was brainwashed by the Santa Clara School District as a child.

As I'm talking to Jake, I say to him, "Do you live in a village?"

No response....just a chuckle.

"Do you live in a hut?"

More laughter.

"No, we don't live in a hut."

"Do you have power? A shower? Bathroom?"

To my joy and surprise he replied,

"Yes Dad, we have power. We have a shower and 2 toilets."

WOOHOO!!!!!

Granted, the shower spits out cold water, and every now and then, there is no water but these are minor annoyances. He does have access to an "Americanized" store that has gatorade and beef jerky which everyone knows is what astronauts eat on their missions. At least he won't starve.

The pictures he sent last week were great too except for the one of the chicken foot in his soup. His "Momita" is the woman who takes care of the missionaries and does their laundry and cooks their meals.....even the ones they Elders don't like. Jake just said, "I eat what they put in front of me." We'll leave the guesses about the "mystery meat" for later.

I also picked up my magical sleep apnea machine today and promptly came home, strapped on the mask and fell asleep. I have trips planned the next three weeks so the machine came just in time. Let's hope it works.

3 comments:

steve said...

no mystery meat. it's either cat or dog, not much of a mystery there. maybe some squirrel if they have those there too. i could always tell in brasil when the meat wasn't the type i was accustomed to. dog still tasted good if you were hungry enough though.

Rowe Family said...

How was your first couple of nights with your machine? Thanks again for letting us have the shower there and invading your space!! It was so nice of you guys

Heidi said...

I had horse once (okay, twice) in Chile. It was not good.

I hate tipping. Just do your job. I don't get tips. I should put a tip jar on my desk.