Friday, October 31, 2008

Vote

I voted today. Early voting has been going on for a couple weeks and it ended today and I wanted to get in early before the crowds on Tueday. I don't do crowds. I don't do lines. I am just a tad impatient and do not like to stand around and wait FOR ANYTHING.

I found out today that there are other people out there like me. So we all stood in line together. I hated every second of it. It's easy to see how the elections get so screwed up. In Nevada you get a card and when you step up to the voting machine, you put the card in the machine and then follow the instructions on the screen. You touch the screen to vote and then press "next" and so on. Apparently this process can be difficult for some people, most of them democrats. If you are so stupid that you can't work a voting machine you are too dumb to vote.

My vote has been cast. Does it matter? The cynical part of me will say "No." The fact is, for the presidential election, winning the electoral college tally is surely more important than winning the popular vote as Al Gore found out it 2000. When Al Gore ran against George Bush he had 500,000 more votes than W and lost the election. I'm no fan of Gore, but that's just wrong man. Alas, it will take a constitutional amendment to eradicate the electoral college and we don't tred on the constitution very often - bottom line: the electoral college stays put. And that sucks.

I must confess my admiration for the presidential candidates and their repective running mates. They are road warriors. One day, Obama is doing a gig at Bonanza High School in Las Vegas, the next day he's in North Carolina....Pennsylvania the next day...on Sunday he will be back in Henderson. McCain? Who knows where he is?

Nevada has a grand total of 5 electoral college votes.....sort of strange that the dems are giving NV so much time considering our rather low electoral vote total. Me? If I were running I would focus on Florida, California, Texas, NY, Ct., NJ, and the Great Lake states.....toss in a few other states here and there and a candidate could conceivably NEVER set foot in 1/2 of the states of the union and still comfortably win the Presidency. Does this electoral college thing stink to anyone else?

Bottom line - go and vote.

3 comments:

Mooch said...

KFP

Alec and Tiffany said...

Tiff and I voted early last week as well. We experienced the same problem with long lines. The thing that is weird to me is how at voting lines everyone wants to talk to each other as if they are best friends.

Lady, I don't know you. No offense, but I don't care about your halloween costume that you wore at your work party or why you are voting to give $30 million dollars to the zoo. Next time I encounter a similar situation I am just going to tell them I am a democrat. That will shut her up. Utahn's think that Democrats =atheists.

ACR

susan bunker said...

Yes! I think the electoral college is stupid as well. The popular vote should win, no question. But, thank goodness we didn't get stuck with Al Gore!