Friday, October 17, 2008

Life is Good



Did you happen to catch the BYU-TCU football game last night?

I didn't.

Seriously, I didn't even know that BYU was playing TCU until my son Alec called me at halftime and said, "TCU is beating BYU." I was like, "Wa, wa, whhhaattt?!?!?!?"

I wasn't so much surprised at the score, but at the fact that another game was snuck in on me during the middle of the week. Plus I had baseball to watch too. I'm not gonna lie, it's tough being a sports fan what with all the channels to monitor, the fact we have a pro golf tournament going on in town (more on this later), the debate discussions/blogs. Here's the deal, being tuned in to sports and world events is a 24 hour a day job and I'm obviously missing out on some things. My bad.

By nights end, BYU ultimately got their asses kicked by TCU - it was their first loss of the year. To say I was happy would be an understatement of gargantuan proportion. I savor each and every BYU defeat...in any sport. My disdain for cougar athletics is comic in its scope. Water coolers at accounting firms and law office throughout the intermountain west sounded like this today,

"What the freak happened last night?" "Can you believe how TCU freakin' cheated?"

No doubt many, many tears were shed by the cougar faithful last night...today...and for sure over the weekend when the new polls come out on Sunday. My guess: They drop to 19 although I'd vote 'em out of the top 25.



Wasn't BYU supposed to go undefeated? Play in the BCS title game in Miami? Bring back the ghosts of 1984? This brings me to another problem and it's a big one - a doozy: To the uneducated, TCU stands for "Texas Christian University" so there are underlying religious machinations at work here. I'm not going into that....I have enough trouble as it is keeping the rules straight, but shouldn't BYU always beat these guys? I need to think about this a lot more.





And so, as the Utes continue to steamroll through the Mountain West Conference I will, of course, look forward to the Holy War on November 22. The fact my tickets have lost 50% (or more) of what we paid for them means nothing to me. I simply want to see a massacre at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Will I storm the field? Of course not. I will simply be the smug guy dressed in red, with Indian headdress on, sitting in the MUSS (Might Utah Student Section) section of the stadium hoarse from hollering and cheering on my beloved Utes. Bottom line: I love college football.

I had a busy morning and early afternoon at work and then I made a break for it to take my mom up to TPC to catch some of the golf tournament. We had a great time. TPC has a private tent for members to kick back in and relax that is located on the 18th green next to all the other hospitality tents. The golf was great, the food and beverage were on-the-house and we were able to sit in the shade.





We wandered up the 18th fairway and came across another tent dedicated to our men and women in uniform. The army had a special display on the grass with a bunch of weapons and fully loaded humvees. I grabbed one of the soldiers and had him tell me about the weapons. The mortars can go a distance of 6 miles. This is where a large tube about 6 inches across and is about 5 feet long is braced into the earth. An 18 inch projectile loaded with propellent and gun powder is fired. I was jacked up but we couldn't obviously bother the golfers with this sort of noise and destruction. The other weapons were this new machine gun - Why the Iraqi's or anyone for that matter would want to piss off the United States is a salient question. We always have the best stuff.





I am fired up about my own golf game. I have a lot of golf scheduled during the next week. Tomorrow a casual round at TPC Las Vegas. MOnday is "The Blast" where we get to play the exact same course/layout as the pros did on Sunday. While they all shoot 63 and 64, I'll try to break 80. Company golf on Tuesday and Friday....hey, it's a tough job but someone has to do it.

Lastly.....A BYU Coed asked a store clerk, "Can I put this wallpaper on myself?"
"Yes, but it will look better on the wall," he said.

Life is good.

9 comments:

Alec and Tiffany said...

I'm excited for the 11-22 game but I've decided to stop analyzing BYU and the U. Lets just let their performances speak for themselves. Hopefully the U stays undefeated though!

ACR

Heidi said...

Alec--I knew I liked you for a reason. The reason is, itself, reason. You are a rational old bloke, and I like that.

BYU was horrendous.

Keith--forget the headdress. Don't you have a MAFU hat you can wear?

Alec and Tiffany said...

To be quite honest, I find my dad's political blogs more intriguing than the BYU ones. FYI.

ACR

KfP (Keith for President)

Heidi said...

OK. Then let me rephrase my comment: Your comments on all blog entries are well-reasoned. I didn't compliment you because the post was about BYU. I complimented you because I think you are a rational kid with a good mind. But who cares what I think, right?

I'd vote for your dad too.

Keith A. Runyon said...

This blog stuff is hard work my friends (to borrow the often used McCain comment). One day I'm solving political issues, the next day I'm being sarcastic about that school up north. My comments are DESIGNED to be inflammatory - that's why I put them there.

The real problem in the world today is all this political correctness. In fact, I will dedicate a future blog post to this topic alone since it merits debate.

And you know I would bring a dose of reality to the political system. I'm the REAL maverick.

When does Harry Reid's term end?

MAFU?

Alec and Tiffany said...

Andrew, I knew what you meant!

Dad, we going to the beach the same week as Andrew? We gotta convince Steve to come down. Every vacation needs some comic relief.

ACR

Heidi said...

Comic relief at the beach? That's what I'm for!! We should convince Steve to come down though - that would be fun.
- Heidi

Heidi said...

If you have to ask what MAFU is, you are not a true Utah fan. Either that or you just jumped on the bandwagon post-McBride. Don't you remember those silly hats and shirts McBride wore?

Keith A. Runyon said...

No idea what MAFU stands for...I was busy coaching soccer during McBride's tenure and didn't catch many saturday games bro....coaching, teaching...IT'S WHAT I DO