Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Janae Unplugged

I'm a bit cranky since Janae is out of town which means the house tips slightly while she is gone. Sure the kids have left the nest, but the nest still needs to be tended to and The King (me) needs to be fed and what not. Since I'm color blind, I have to select my clothing carefully lest the office staff give me odd looks. When Janae is gone, I keep it simple: white or black golf shirts and tan slacks....even I can't mess that one up.

Janae is at a quilting camp in the Ozarks, wherever that is... I just envision people without a full set of teeth, bad hair, and have one eyeball looking to the side. I'm right about this. Look it up.

She is at a place without cell phone service, no wireless internet, and you have to bring your own lamp to light your room. I am literally howling with laughter over this. Janae "unplugged" is an ususual situation....a once in a lifetime event really...sort of like that Halley's Comet that flies around every 76 years or so. Janae is marooned in the middle of the woods with her mom, her sister and some serious-as-a-heart-attack quilters. Janae a quilter you ask? No, not really. She will dispute this fact but I think the last quilt she made were Alec and Jake's baby blankets which should not be confused with a real quilt made up of dozens of squares and triangles and other geometric patterns.

I think I moved quilting frames from one house to another to another and then just used the wood for some cockamamy scout project. She never missed those frames until one day....."hey, have you seen my quilting frames?" I slink off toward the garage to give a look...."Uh, no honey, I don't see them. Didn't someone borrow them?" Heehee

4 comments:

steve said...

the ozarks are located in the book, "where the red fern grows." The greatest book of all time. I did a book report on it every year from 5th grade to 10th grade.

watch out for your green socks with those black and tan outfits. yeah, i have seen it before. that's ok though, i won't tell.

Alec and Tiffany said...

Yeah, how did mom end up there? I've been calling her all day...didn't know that she was in a no-service zone...(I actually didn't know that those still existed!)

Alec

Allison said...

Uncle Keith,
I'm glad to see quilt camp amuses you as much as it does me. You would think they would at least come up with a better name for it, it makes band camp or chess camp sound fun. And I am shocked that Janae is there, but my mom and Grammy are good at the peer pressure thing.

Try to enjoy your time alone!
Allison

Keith A. Runyon said...

The Ozarks don't have cell phone service which I even had in Peru. I'm not going to the Ozarks EVER and to think of the mind numbing quilt workshops one must sit through. Worse than going to church for all 3 hours. It's true. Look it up.