Saturday, April 19, 2008

Hit by a Truck

I have been down in bed the past few days which doesn't sit well with me at all. I like doing stuff...golf, tinkering, yard-rambo, playing with my dogs and what not. I'm not good at being stuck at home....I get cabin fever.

Whatever bug I have, it has indeed hit me like the proverbial truck - an 18 wheeler heading downhill loaded with bricks with the wind at it's back in my case. No brakes either.

I believe we can all agree that men and women react differently to sickness. Women quietly endure most of life's minor ailments and go about their life - they generally have no choice: house, kids, husband, and in some cases a job on top of all the family stuff require their attention. I make this statement: Women don't get any days off. Men? We are laughable creatures. We completely overreact to every little cough, hiccup, ache, pain, soreness, or cramp. If anyone disagrees, I welcome your argument.

Knowing I had not been feeling well, my mom raced over today with a thermometer to check on me and uttered the following lines in succession:

"You feel warm," as she felt my forehead. I rolled my eyes. Duh.

"Have you been drinking juice?" I nod affirmatively.

"Have you been eating." The last think I want to do.

"You should go to Quick Care." As if I want to sit in that hellhole of a place with germs practically visable in the air and sit there with 20 other people wheezing and coughing. There isn't enough Germ-X in the world to get me in there.

Doc Eells? I may have Janae call him tomorrow if I'm not feeling better.....perhaps a morphine and soda to kill the pain. Kidding. Sort of.

After her diagnosis, mom just sighed.....with that worried "mom" look. I am 47 years old and my mom had to see me....I couldn't stop her. I'm not gonna lie, it did cheer me up though. I am grateful for the relationship I have with my mom, and the one I had with my dad before he died in 1994. I'm lucky - we always got along....fabulously, lovingly, and usually were laughing a helluva lot.

My physical results came today in the mail and other than the sleep issue, and the fact I need to lose 10 pounds, okay 15, I'm in excellent health. This is what the doc tells me. This is what all of the bloodwork and tests tell him. So.....why does it feel like I have cancer today? I don't even know what cancer feels like, but my body aches so bad that it could give an aspirin a headache.

To top it off, Alec and Tiffany came down this weekend from SLC for a visit and I've been asleep for most of their time here. Sorry guys.

2 comments:

Kathy's Boys said...

Keith,
Hope you are feeling better soon. I read your
funny little saying about BYU to Landry. Pretty
funny. Poor Brad, he is the only true BYU fan
in our family. Even Cory, who is going to BYU,
is for the Rebels!

Keith A. Runyon said...

We still like Brad....even if he is a cougar.