Saturday, September 27, 2008

Phils are In





Whew! My Phils are the NL East champs for the 2nd year in a row. It took 161 out of 162 games to nail down the title. Last year they were swept by Colorado in the divisional round. Before that, the last year they made the playoffs was '93 when Toronto beat them in the World Series. We did win the WS in 1980. One series title in 120+ years.... very Cub-like don't you think?

My beloved Philadelphia brethren and I have been tortured since 1983 when the 76ers won an NBA title. It's been a quarter century since we've been able to celebrate a title of any kind. Just for the sake of comparison, look at Boston....3 Super Bowl wins, 2 World Series wins, and an NBA title in the past decade. Sick, just sick.

So what's the deal with Keith and Philly? You may wonder, what's the connection man?

In 1979, while I was in college at the U of Utah, my family moved from Stamford, Connecticut to King of Prussia, Pennsylvania - a 30 minute hop from downtown Philly. I spent summers and assorted holidays back there and grew to love the area, the sports teams, and especially the passion and loyalty of the fans. The cheesesteaks weren't too bad either.

My family lived there for 14 years. I had the great fortune to take my bride-to-be back there before our wedding - I'll never forget her throwing up on the airplane upon our landing (nerves?), teaching her to play pinochle, raking monsterous amounts of leaves, and taking walks in the rain. We also took our sons back there on a number of occasions and always had a blast. I especially loved to go into downtown Philly....gritty, old and vibrant. The city's history was hypnotic, and we always loved to go to Valley Forge, and Longwood Gardens.














Since I liked the area so much why didn't I just move back there after school? Good question. Couple reasons....No ski resorts. Too humid in the summer. My destiny was out west. I like to visit our east coast cities but would never want to live there..... Not enough blue sky. Oh....and a lot of the girls had facial hair. You didn't even have to get up close and look that's how bad it was. Now I'm no anthropologist, but I'm sure there were alot Eastern Europeans genes in that part of the land, and I don't think laser hair removal had been perfected yet.

I'm shallow like that.

1 comment:

Alec and Tiffany said...

I always was curious about why you were such a big Philly fan...Eagles better win this week! On ESPN they list the top 3 teams as Cowboys, Giants, then Eagles. All 3 are in the same division...wild!

ACR