Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Fond Farewell




We got out late today and teed it up around 3:30pm. Work was hectic so I skipped lunch and raced up to TPC.

I was glad to take Justin out one more time before he left on his mission to Lima, Peru. Our dear J-Dog leaves on Tuesday.

And what a way to wrap up "regular" life.....golf on Friday with the fellas, haircut and a full slate of college football on Saturday, farewell lovefest at church on Sunday followed by a great Sunday pigskin schedule. He then gets set apart as a missionary later that day, and then quite possibly one of the greatest early season Monday Night Football games EVER.....Eagles at Cowboys. The NFC Beast (east) is the toughest and best division in all of football. It's probable that 3 of the 4 teams will make the playoffs....again. I'm already fired up and we're a few days away fromt he action! I'm not gonna lie, it will be hard to sleep the next few nights. Plus USC-Ohio State tomorrow? Whew!

Memo to Keith: Need more ice.

On Tuesday, Justin will drive up to Provo with his family and enter the MTC on Wednesday. As I said, this is probably the best 3 day stretch of his life. He's a great kid and deseves a great send off and the support of each of us as he serves in the mission field.

And so, on a PERFECT day, we managed to stumble around the course on the front 9 with the following scores; 40 for Steve aka "Esteban," 41 for me (a lot of stuff clanging around upstairs after the Johnny Miller clinic and I'm still trying to sort all THAT out) and a 47 for J-Dog. We follwed up that very pedestrian front nine with the best back 9 scores of any group of scoundrels that I've ever played with....38, 36, and 39. That's right, 78 for Steve-a-rino, 77 for me, and a steady 86 for Elder Hales. Wow...a stellar day on the links to be sure.

And you KNOW I was stoked to beat Steve. Sure the round was cloaked in brotherly love with Justin leaving and what not, but make no mistake, I was out there throwing darts at the flag and playing to win. Just win baby. Me and Al Davis.

But wait, that wasn't all.

Later on, I was able to top off my golf victory by going 2 for 2 in pinochle against Janae and my mom. As always, I relished my win with a victory dance and the usual smack talk. I don't like to lose - at anything - but you probably already know that.

We'll miss you Justin but know you are engaging in a wonderful work. I'm proud of you and will greatly miss your frequent visits to the house.

Remember the gold bricks.




Love you man,

Poppa Keith

7 comments:

Alec and Tiffany said...

Shout out to Justin. We'll miss you man. You are very blessed to be able to go to Zion aka Peru. Light it up. You better write or I will come down and smack you with that lucky driver of yours.

ACR

Justin Hales said...

Poppa Keith!!

Thanks so much for taking me out one last time. You and Esteban are good company. I couldnt stop laughing...

I dont know if you filmed the wrong person, but i don't know who that goon in the video was???


Note to self : never appear on camera again ha.

Love you Poppa Keith.

Keith A. Runyon said...

J-Dog,
It was totally my pleasure having you out for a round of golf and laughs yesterday!!!

I know you are going to love the people of Peru. You KNOW I will be keep you updated on rankings and scores.

Work Hard. The time will fly by. Know we are always here for you.

See you tomorrow.
Love,
Poppa Keith

Heidi said...

Eagles 24. Dallas 21. Oh, and nice shirt, Esteban. It is hunting season and all. Do you wear that so Kieth doesn't hit into you?

steve said...

don't make fun of the shirt man! that is vintage old navy, i think...

j-dawg! you da man. good luck on the mish. it was a pleasure golfing with you and witnessing your amazing golf skills. we'll play again in 2 years!

steve

steve said...

o, and keith. where is the video of the eagle putt you left 3 feet short?

Keith A. Runyon said...

Uh....must have deleted the missed eagle putt. I was nervous. NOT