Tuesday, September 23, 2008

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$









From TMQ: The National Debt...It took the United States 209 years, from the founding of the republic till 1998, to compile the first $5 trillion in national debt. In the decade since, $6 trillion in debt has been added. This means the United States has borrowed more money in the past decade than in all our previous history combined. Six trillion dollars borrowed in a single decade and $1.5 trillion borrowed in 2008 alone.

From CNN: It's About Time....The FBI is investigating Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Lehman Brothers and AIG - and their executives - as part of a broad look into possible mortgage fraud, sources with knowledge of the investigation told CNN Tuesday.






From CNN: Good Work If You Can Get It...Richard Syron received $19.8 million in compensation last year from Freddie Mac, including a $1.2 million salary, a nearly $3.5 million bonus and $771,585 in other compensation. He also received stock and options valued by the company at $14.3 million at the time they were awarded.

From The Wall Street Journal: This Guy Laughed All the Way to the Bank.... Lehman Brothers Inc. Chairman and Chief Executive Richard Fuld received compensation valued at $22.1 million in 2007, a year in which the company weathered the subprime mortgage collapse better than its rivals. (???) In addition, the CEO was awarded $750,000 in salary and a performance related BONUS of roughly $4.3 million.

18 comments:

Heidi said...

Sounds pretty darnded close to Keith money. Why don't you stop complaining and give your money to Uncle Sam so we can get out of this mess! Granted, you may have to play a little less golf (or at least stop letting Esteban mooch off you) but in any event you could probably cure most of the national debt with a single check. It's true. I looked it up. --Andrew

Keith A. Runyon said...

Steve and I have a deal. Verbal agreement actually. When I'm old and out of a job and he's a senior partner in a gigantic law firm with his name first on the stationary, it will his turn for pay back. And that's good enough for me.

I just hope I live that long. LOL

Heidi said...

Keith--your verbal deal is void under the statute of frauds. Also, I hope for your sake that Esteban keeps up the good work as a lawyer. I'm fearful he'll make the jump to the Clark County School District as a basketball coach or, heaven help us, selling insurance.

Heidi said...

Also, I wanted to point out that I miss the beach. That was fun. Except the part where you and I single handedly had to hold up the human pyramid.

Keith A. Runyon said...

My back is still aching from the pyramid....it's all part of the beach experience that includes massive doses of flamming hot cheetos, diet pepsi, and red vines.

Burp

Heidi said...

.........and bacon. I once had a book when I was a young boy called "Don't Forget the Bacon." (See http://books.google.com/books?id=wiRa-PdvEC4C&dq=don't+forget+the+bacon&pg=PP1&ots=ti4CGSwrSS&sig=FQdDKRLjeCCOW_BaZ9Qz-9t7B3Y&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result). It was good advice then and it is good advice now!

steve said...

Keith,

I hope to someday be able to fulfill the terms of the agreement.

Lawyering sucks. Selling insurance sucks. What job doesn't suck?

Andrew, don't forget the bacon.

Heidi said...

The Law is a noble profession, Esteban. Maybe you ought to take the Mexico bar so you can practice as Esteban Marcos Dixon, abogado y consjero en la ley.

Alec and Tiffany said...

Interesing facts. I like your deal with Esteban. Lets go golfing next time I'm down there. I need to get some game so that I can start trash talking :). Isn't it true that the trash-talking is every bit as fun as winning? claro que si.

ACR

steve said...

Andrew,

No thanks on the practicing law in Mexico. Apparently law school down there is 5 years. That's more pesos than I care to be in debt.

I'm actually counting on Alec to become extremely rich, us becoming best friends, and him needing a good friend each day on the golf course. Alec, can I get in on some friendship?

Steve

steve said...

Alec, if so I'll name my kid after you. You're dad already ok'd it. It's true, look it up (ask him).

Keith A. Runyon said...

That's 5 years of SCHOOL. Total.

I crack myself up.

Heidi said...

LOL. That was funny. I have to admit, Keith. It's scary. 1/2 of the doctors in down went to med school in Mexico or Dominica. I'm not too comfortable with that.

Keith A. Runyon said...

India too....that guy who didn't wash the hoses...they must not teach that over there. Oh, that's right, it's because there is no clean water anywhere in India.

steve said...

yes, pass the fourth grade and you can practice law in mexico

Alec and Tiffany said...

Steve, friendship granted.

ACR

Heidi said...

I also miss the beach and I'm wondering why no one has booked Oceanside for next year except us...we had to settle for the second week of August though because D6 was booked the first week - anyone want to hang with us at the beach next summer? I don't know how exciting it will be eating Wienerschitzel alone......

Keith A. Runyon said...

We are booked for a month - middle of July until middle of August. If this financial stuff keeps up, I'm just gonna stay down there.