Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008




The emotional high that I was on after the Utes victory crashed to earth the very next day when the Eagles were trampled by Baltimore and their rookie quarterback. Some guy named Joe. Tough year for the Eagles. Coach Reid benched QB Donovan McNabb at halftime and the guy pouted like a 5 year old at Toys 'r Us. D-Mac deserved to be benched - he has been playing terrible. The media turned the benching into a national debate and now it's big news. Coach Reid was just trying to light a fire under Donovan's big rear end but it backfired. I'm afraid we're not gonna make the playoffs so I'm not sure why McNabb is even playing....I'm pretty sure McNabb will be traded in the offseason then we'll see what happens when Philly fans are introduced to bad football team. It ain't gonna be pretty.

Thanksgiving is tomorrow and that means 3 NFL games this year instead of the usual 2. The games are all pretty crappy, but it's still beats watching some stupid parade. I hope my family will respect my love for the game and not plan too many activites that require my participation for Thanksgiving day. After all, just in the past couple of weeks I've gone to a family reunion, gone to church (twice), and helped out my mother-in-law too many times to count. I am building up alot of brownie points with the wife.






Thanksgiving Day 2008 also means it's Jake's birthday. Our Jake turns 20 tomorrow. I have been missing Jake since he left on his mission last January. Tomorrow will only amplify those feelings. Still, he's doing wonderful things and having a great mission experience in Ecuador.

Me? I have a lot to be thankful for. While the newspaper and television continue to bombard us with bad news, I have a lot of positive things going on in my life right now. I have a great job, loyal clients, a decent golf swing, good and funny friends, a wonderful wife, sons who are good men and the opportunity to travel all over the world to visit cool places. I'm glad that 2008 saw my health return to normal after my sleep apnea diagnosis and treatment. Such things are speedbumps on the road of life. We all travel them, and I guess it's a combination of luck and skill that we navigate these roads safely and without drama - some do it better than others. Some crash and burn. I get by.

The fun part of Thanksgiving is that we knock the holiday out on day #1 - this leaves 3 days of holiday left to do more fun stuff. We are discussing a possible guys golf outing on Friday and/or Saturday. We'll need to see how motivated we are and what the weather is doing. No matter - we'll golf, play football or watch football. I believe a movie or two will also be in order.

Thanksgiving 2008....life is good.

No comments: