Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Great Debate





My last post generated 46 comments and it became difficult to stay zeroed in on any one argument. This post piggybacks the prior one and is directed at my legal eagle friends Andrew and Esteban....

I agree with you that Brown vs. The Board of Education was a landmark case and radically changed the education landscape for millions of children - black and white. The previous Plessy vs. Ferguson decision (late 1800's and also mentioned in your comment), while doomed to fail, lasted for over a half-century. Something had to be done since the quality of education was anything but consistent and equal. Opposition to Brown v BOE stayed around for decades, longer in the deep south and was followed by Rosa Parks not moving to the back of the bus (not a SC matter obviously) and thus began essentially the civil rights movement in earnest.

I think you will agree with me that that case B v. BOE will NEVER be overturned where the Roe v. Wade decision MAY be changed and that my friend is why I believe Roe vs. Wade is the most polarizing decision the Supreme Court has handed down.... ever. But then again, I'm no lawyer so what do I really know?

Lawrence vs. Texas? C'mon man, even I had to look that one up. Big deal.

Dred Scott - VERY inflammatory at the time but obviously we're not going back to slavery so that decision's not going anywhere.

Marbury vs. Madison? Judicial review...yada, yada, yada....

I'm not even sure what your other cases were but Roe versus Wade has been, in my opinion, the single most discussed, debated and argued case of all time.

And dude, I'd want to hide under a rock when you're done with me? ROFLOL. I eat you guys for lunch.

I'll let you know when the FJ lease expires - what are they going for?

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Keith:

"But then again, I'm no lawyer so what do I really know?"

Andrew:

Do you really want me to answer that question?

Just kidding.

I agree with you on Roe being the most discussed ever, especially the last 30 years. But I still think Brown v. Board was more polarizing. We don't have marches across the bridge at Selma for abortion....yet. I don't think we have yet seen what Roe can do when it comes to polarizing the nation, but I think we will eventually see it come to a head. It will not be pretty. That's why I'm not taking a neutral stand. If I'm going to hell, I'd like one of the cooler seats!

BTW, you can't get a sense of those cases from Wikipedia. I beg of you--pull Roe v. Wade (just google it) and read the entire decision, including the dissents. You will see what I mean about the reasoning.

Peace, my Brother.

Heidi said...

HOLY CRAP! 46 Comments? I wonder what topic I could post about on our blog to warrant such a response. It seems politics and BYU/Utah debates really get you guys fired up!!!

I think Keith should do live blog posts from his seat at the Holy War on Nov. 22nd......