Monday, November 10, 2008

Now What?




There isn't another football game on until Thursday....I'll be in withdrawal by tomorrow night.

I love football. My boys love football. My boys girls love football. My wife loves football. My mom loves football. My late father loved football.

The one day every week that Jake has to get to caught up on his personal stuff while serving in Ecuador he wants to know one thing from me: Did the Eagles win? Of course my emails to him would make the staff from Stats Inc. proud since I usually do a complete film breakdown and analysis and forward it to him in an encrypted email.





The Eagles loss to the hated NY Giants on SNF was tough. Alec and I text-messaged until my fingers ached. Andy Reid seems to get worse each year when it comes to managing the game. Who calls running plays during a two-minute drill? Who makes dumb coaches challenges that always cost timeouts? Why it's Coach Reid. I was reading some Philly blogs today and the fans there are ready to run this guy out of town. Philly fans are notorious for their intensity and are infamous for booing Santa Claus who showed up at an Eagle game when the home team was losing. Not only did they boo, they tossed snowballs at Old Saint Nick until he ran back into the tunnel. Tough town. Tough Crowd.





We watched the Utes beat a good TCU game last Thursday and improve to 10-0. Grammy, Trent and his wife Elizabeth and their new baby William Keith (The Great) Leavitt were over at the house and saw the game with us. I actually lucked out - if they had used Keith as the first name, I'm pretty sure I would be obligated to pay for college. That is, until I saw a picture of the kid on their blog yesterday wearing a BYU hat.




My despair is real Trent.

Preparations for The Holy War on 11/22 have ramped up. We fly up to SLC on 11/20 for pre-game rituals including painting the "Y" red, and other harmless shenanigans.





On Friday we're taking the crew out for dinner and a night of good banter and laughter. Saturday we'll sleep in and then it's on: BYU-Utah. I'm not gonna lie, this will be a bitter contest. I get worked up for games to the point where I had to take a xanax just to settle down after the Eagles loss last night. I know, I know...I can't help it. I hope we sit next to some BYU fans so we can engage in some verbal sparring or else just to mix it up in the parking lot. Note to Alec: If the weather is good, we're tailgating.





Countdown to The War: 12 Days

4 comments:

susan bunker said...

my new grandson, has a cool hat to wear with his rebel garb, to the games, thanks to jan hodson. maybe she could hook trent's son up with something red?

Alec and Tiffany said...

YES something red - be it Utah or UNLV or even USC! Just get that blue stuff off!

Dad, great post. Can't wait to have you next week. Tailgate party if the weather is good. If the weather is bad we will have a pseudo-tailgate party inside the house where its still warm :).

ACR

Heidi said...

Why don't you take me to the game and we can banter back and forth the entire game and I'll even let you slap me like Sarah Cummard afterward (no matter who wins)!

Keith A. Runyon said...

Susan!
YES!!! Find me a red fuzzy hat for this kid! Anything but something from BYU. Nice photo!
Keith