Monday, March 31, 2008

I'd Eat Anything with Bacon

It's time to get some food talk into my blog..... It's usually all just sports and other stuff that get people all jacked up so I said to myself, "How can I insult anyone talking about food?" Impossible.

Each Sunday that we're home we have "Big Breakfast." It's sort of lame now with just Janae and I and the dogs, but when the boys were home, they lived for Sunday and the always delicious array of breakfast meats, two types of hashbrowns (no typo there), toast, and eggs cooked anyway you like 'em. Wow, I'm getting hungry just typing this up.

Me? I like bacon. In fact, I make this statement: Bacon is so good, I know many Jewish people who eat it.....now that's saying something. They will forgo the ham sandwich, a tasty bratwurst or hot dog at the ball game, but wrap anything in bacon, and they will grab for that bacon wrapped whatever-it-is and chow down like a starved pit bull. Me too.

Probably the best bacon dish I ever had was in Tucson, AZ. We were there playing in a golf pro-am a few years ago and we went to this old-school Tucson restaurant right out of the '70's. There were 6 of us and I believe we ate all the bacon the place could cook up and wrap around some shrimp.

Now the problem with bacon, as we all know, is the smell it leaves in our homes. It can linger for hours. In fact, sometimes I think it gets into my suit and when they sneak in a fast Sunday that's not on a "real" fast Sunday (ie. on the first Sunday of the month). I felt guilty yesterday sitting in 2pm church with starved people hovering around me going, "Is that bacon?" I pointed at Janae.


Burp

15 comments:

Janae' said...

Ahhh Big Breakfast....some people have a nice pot roast for Sunday Dinner...not us..bacon, brown sugar sausages, shredded and cubed hashbrowns, sourdough toast, cheese melted nummily on the browns, eggs any way you like them, and baked orange rolls.....and Keith says I never cook for him...

Heidi said...

I'm coming over Sunday morning. Bacon is the fruit of the gods.

Alec and Tiffany said...

The tradition carries on, we made our own BIG breakfast this week. We miss the classic days though. That has been our Sunday meal for my entire life. But we sure do miss mom's homemade orange rolls...oh yeah. Next time we come home we are making BB together.

susan bunker said...

Big Breakfast sounds delicious!!! We don't make it that often...but when we do - the bacon smell lasts forever, and definitely soaks into the clothes I'm wearing! Wishing I had been sitting next to you yesterday :)! Oh well...ENJOY!

Alyssa Joy said...

I love aunt nae's big breakfast at the beach! Yum...

steve said...

Andrew, let's car pool to keiths house sunday morning.

Kim Marx said...

I've eaten at that same restaurant in Tucson with the bacon wrapped shrimp. The only culinary goal I have is to duplicate that in my own kitchen.

steve said...

"I'd eat my foot if it was wrapped in bacon."

- Doug Heffernan

Keith A. Runyon said...

Steve. VERY FUNNY. Foot wrapped in bacon. Hahahaha!

Heidi said...

Has Keith tried the Dixon family favorite - bacon wrapped chestnuts? Super yummy.....

Janae' said...

You could wrap me in Kevin Bacon oohhh baby baby..... yep I love bacon

steve said...

janae, VERY FUNNY!

Heidi said...

I'm pretty good at playing 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon - just ask Andrew....

Alec and Tiffany said...

It's been 4 days without a new post....you all right? Your fans miss you!

Heidi said...

I agree. Get with the program, Keith.