Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Sleep Center

Now that my back is 100%, my shoulder is well on it's way to being better than ever thanks to every other day visits to the rehab facility, and that Doc Daulat carved out that pesky bump on my mug that at first seemed to be an ingrown hair but stayed around for 2 months and, pending biopsy results, is likely a commmon and mild form of skin cancer - basal cell carcinoma, my body is thisclosetobeing where I need it to be. The only remaining issue is my sleep apnea. And it's a doozy.

I had to get my magic sleep maching recalibrated based on the results of my sleep test 2 weeks ago. Even with the machine, I have too many hypopneas and apneas or events as they say in the trade. My pressure needed to be adjusted so I took the machine to the sleep center at 9pm as instructed so the techs there could handle it. The first words out of the floppy haired guys mouth were, "I've never worked on one of those before." I said, "You're not inspiring confidence in me bro." He's scratched his head and stomped off. Tech #2 tagged along and looked at the machine and stepped back like it would bite.

The first guy was looking at my test results while fumbling with the machine. Since I have central sleep apnea the bipap machine is the only cure in helping my condition. After about a half hour they had finally figured it out and set the machine. After 3 nights of using it, the increased pressure sounds like a plane taking off. The mask can't handle the pressure so it leaks and when it leaks it makes a loud noise and worse it means I don't get enough oxygen. Working on the problem now.

No comments: