Sunday, August 30, 2009

It Just Doesn't Stop

My trip back to San Diego on Wednesday for a final few days of summer at the beach had an ominous start. I had some business to attend to and sped to the airport for a 2pm flight. While I pulled into the valet parking, I somehow failed to do what I ALWAYS, ALWAYS tell my sons to do: Keep Your Head on a Swivel.

I thumped the car in front of me.

Oops. Total HUMA move.

As luck would have it, my bumper hit the jeeps rubber plug on the trailer hitch. No damage to the jeep and none to my car. The look the Jeep owner gave me was creepy though.....the old Keith would have got in his grill. I played nice.

Then on Thursday night the alarms on my magic sleep machine started blaring and the screen showed an E87 message. On the internet at 2:30am I was able to determine my machine was fried. The next morning I call Praxair and they confirmed it - come in for a replacement unit. Problem was I was 5 hours away....so Janae and I packed up and left the beach house. The girls at Praxair were great and got me squared away with new gear; hose, mask, machine and supplemental oxygen machine that is the size of a small TV. I asked the lady how long I would need that device and she looked at me, paused, and said, "Uh, well, forever." That really bummed me out.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to seek a second or third opinion now on my sleep apnea. Central Sleep Apnea doesn't have a defined cause other than the brain fails to tell the lungs to take a breath - that's bad.

The frustrating thing is that for a year, the magic sleep machine pretty much had me feeling normal. The past few months - back to debilitating.

We are nearing the 100 day mark for Jake's return. According to Janae, we are at 105 days and counting. I'm ready. Missions are harder for parents than their kids - I'm sure of this.

Alec is in the midst of filling out secondary medical school applications. Too bad he can't check "minority" since they seem to ride the diversity train to 50% of the admissions.....despite lower grades and test scores. Pretty soon he'll begin the interview process. This is an exciting time for he and Tiffany.

RayRay our beloved soft coated wheaten terrier played a fast one on us last night - he feigned sleep when it was time to put the dogs to bed, and by morning, he'd pretty much emptied the See's Candy 1.5 pound box of peanut brittle that was on the coffee table.

Laughing uncontrollable now......fires from surrounding states.....dogs gassing up the house....Big Brother on TV.... This is my life.

2 comments:

Alec and Tiffany said...

HOAS!! Dad, we need you in our fantasy league. Without you, the quota for trash talking will certainly not be met. You in?

ACR

Bobbi Leavitt said...

intresting you were in San Diego; I didnt get a call. weird.