Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Front Page Stuff

There's been some controversial material in the media lately. Let's take a look shall we?

Michael Vick's NFL Odyssey

Some facts:
1) I am a dog lover. I'm a HUGE dog lover.
2) Mike Vick bankrolled a dog fighting operation and exhibited extreme cruelty to the dogs in his care.
3) Vick served 2 years in prison for the crimes he committed.



How could anyone hurt these guys?

There is no doubt that Vick engaged in stupid and disgusting behavior and many people will never forgive him however.... he served the time that the courts determined he should serve and I believe he should be allowed to get back to work in the NFL without further suspension.

Apparently NFL boss/potentate Roger Goodell (see below) didn't think 2 years of prison, being humiliated and ridiculed (to this day even), losing his fortune (at one time he was the NFL's highest paid player), going bankrupt, and being the scourge of the earth wasnt' quite enough punishment - he imposed an additional 6 game suspension....just to make sure Vick knew who was boss. I'm no Vick fan, but jeez, players who killed people got off easier than MV.



Roger Goodell in 30 years

Let's compare Vick to Leonard Little and Donte Stallworth. These guys were each NFL players. Each were convicted of driving under the influence and of KILLING another human being (not a dog). In 1998 Little hit a St. Louis woman, killing her, while driving drunk. He spent 90 days in jail - that's it. The media storm for Little was minor - the football writers of America voted him an All-Pro 4 years later.

Stallworth...he also was convicted of driving under the influence and killing a man who was on his way home after a construction shift. Unbelievably, Stallworth served a grand total of 27 days in jail. Sure he surrendered his drivers license for the rest of his life but I doubt that will actually stop him from driving. He's also suspended indefinitely since the incident occurred in the recent offseason but make no mistake - he won't spend 2 years out of the NFL like Vick.

These two guys killed human beings.

Think about it.

Plaxico Burress' Gunshot Wound

The former NY Giants receiver accidentally shot himself in the leg last November while inside a club in NYC. Dude was carrying a loaded handgun in his pocket...it went off....his pal and teammate at the time, Antonio Pierce, helped Plax get to a hospital where he could be treated for his injury. Both guys would wind up in some serious trouble.



Plax

I'll explain...

NYC has moronically strict gun laws. Just carrying a firearm without a permit carries a mandatory 3+ year prison sentence. That's a bit steep. One "oops" and anyone could be facing a life altering experience - in prision with bad men. The thought makes me keep practicing spanish. No way I'd ever go to prison. Canada is too cold in the winter so I'd opt for a non-extradition central or south American country. Prison? Are you kidding me?

Anyway, Plax told the prosecuter's office he'd serve a year in jail (as if he could dictate his own sentence?) yet the prosecuter demanded he do 2 years not 1. I guess a MANDATORY sentence isn't so mandatory. I don't understand this - perhaps my legal pals can explain. This sort of thing is remarkable to me when Burress testified under oath to the a Grand Jury that he did own the firearm; that it did discharge; and that he was injured as a result. Quad erant demonstradum.

Pierce was in hot water because he helped his friend get to a hospital and wasn't immediately forthcoming about what happened. The Grand Jury met today to vote on his behavior - they did the right thing and did not indict him. He was helping a friend. To me, loyalty is everything.

Professor Gates and The Cambridge Cop

I think everyone can agree that it appeared to the neighbor who called the police that someone was breaking into a house - couple of guys working on a door with no key. A tad suspicious - proceed with caution right?

The fact that it was the owner of the house trying to pry the door open was, at the time, unknown to everyone but the good professor. The cops approached the situation like all cops must do - with extreme caution. Words were said, next thing you know, the homeowner/professor was in handcuffs and was dragged away to the police station.




The incident should never have escalated to where it did and it certainly didn't warrant, in my opinion, the President of the United States commenting about how the cops acted "Stupidly." Surely the only people who really know what happened did manage to gather over brewskis at The White House last week and snacked with the Prez and VP Joe Biden.

I wish President Obama would invite me over for a BBQ on some lazy summer Saturday. I'd give him an earful on health care reform, immigration, the stimulus package and a give him my college football playoff pitch. How do I swing an invite like that?


Michael Jackson's Doctor




Conrad Murray, Gangsta MD/Rapper

Uh oh.

This guy is some serious trouble.

It looks like the Doc MAY have provided MJ with propofol which is a drug used to knock patients out during medical procedures.

I'm not a doctor but common sense tells me to stick to sleep medications to help someone have a good nights rest. Putting someone "out" for 8 hours using this sort of drug just doesn't seem like the right thing to do - maybe that's why so many doctors, referring to Murray and Jackson, asked the obvious question, "What were these guys thinking?"

But that's just me.

Maybe the $150,000 A MONTH the doc was getting from MJ influenced his prescription choices? I know this: If someone was paying me that sort of money I would sure as hell KEEP HIM ALIVE. What an idiot. Word on the street is that despite several months on the job he hadn't been paid yet. If I were him, I wouldn't count on getting a check soon either.


Watch What You Twitter or Facebook

Letting the world know about the fabulous vacation you are on can lead to coming home to a burglarized house. Post about it AFTER you get home. A public service announcement from me.

9 comments:

Janae' said...

Heres my thoughts on your thoughts-
1-Do you only think about black people?
2-Nobody walks out of prison without somebody watching them ie parole officers, monitors. Most bosses don't open their arms and say welcome back. Vick will be fine. He is just living his out in the media. Poor baby.
3.You don't know all the components of these other cases.
4.If you met with PrezO you would want to discuss the BCS and thats all. I know you.
5.If you have friends on your twitter list that will rob you ANYTIME..get new twitter followers.

Just my 2 cents.
Muah!

Keith A. Runyon said...

Rebuttal:

1. Pure coincidence.
2. Yeah but nobody else that comes out of prison can run a 4.3 40 yard dash.
3. Yeah. I do.
4. I'd discuss BCS first, then dazzle him with my brilliance on how to fix healthcare.
5. Good point.

Dixon Leavitt said...

The worst part about Plax's case is that the gun was registered in Florida, but stupid NY gun laws dont recognize that. If it would have been me in his shoes, nothing would have ever happened, but since it is a celeb, everyone had to figure out what happened. Let him live with the stigma of shooting himself, that should be enough punishment.

Alec and Tiffany said...

I want Vick and Plax playing again. They make the sport more entertaining. Vick is awesome to watch because he is (was) more agile than any other QB. Someone needs to hurry and pick him up.

ACR

Keith A. Runyon said...

Eagles should get Vick. Let him return kickoffs and punts.

When McNabb needs a nap in the 3rd quarter, MV can run the Wildcat formation for a few series.

Must I figure EVERYTHING out?

Anonymous said...

My two cents worth....As for Micheal Vick....I don't really think that the young people who look up to this guy are getting the right message....commit a crime serve your time and then go back and earn millions of dollars...NO
As for Plax....How often do you pack your weapon for an evening out? Please
MJ ...I agree
The professor....WAY over the top on all sides....what the heck does the president have to do with any of this anyway, friend or not it's not your fight....take care of what really needs to be taken care of.....here we again agree!!
Twitter...how important are any of us that we need to post every little thing that we do for everyone to see....what ever happened to a good old fashioned letter?
Have a great day.....Wendy

Heidi said...

It's PLAX, not PLEX. Please stop perpetuating this. We need to unite and make sure things are pronounced correctly. Also, it is not JagWIRES. I HATE that. It is JagWARS. Moreover, it is not the BANGles. They are the BENgulls. My goodness people. There is no 80s girl band playing in Cincinnati.

If you and Dixon can't quit wishing you attended Rancho High School, then I expect you to at least be consistent and say the following: axe, funna, quarshtyun, and cuntrat.

Finally, the law, which has been formed over 100s of years of precedent, deems negligent homicide worse than intentional killing of dogs. Janae's point #3 is absolutely correct and, no you don't.

GO PHILLY.

Andrew

Heidi said...

Correction:

Negligent homicide is NOT worse than the intentional killing of dogs.

I hate when I forget the not.

Keith A. Runyon said...

What ya iz jivin' about bro? I always say an' write Plax. I see ya iz on da same vacation plan Jus' like Orenthawl James.