Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Death of A Blog



That weak, uneven and faint ticking sound you hear is my blog's heartbeat. It's on life support - has been for a few months now. The novelty of blogging, for me anyway, has faded. The thrill is gone. The King is Dead. Long live the King.

A year ago blogs were a new and hip thing to do but they've been replaced by sites like Twitter and Facebook. These sites don't require as much work, provide more instant communication and promote more give and take between people. They're easier and less time consuming than blogging.




Blogging has cooled off significantly. Posts are down, comments are waaaay down (where have my fans gone?), and who really cares that I support the ban on gay marriage, that my sleep apnea has roared back, my left shoulder is killing me, my eagles are poised for a run at the Lombardi trophy, my Jake-Jake will be home in December and all the other crap I write about? All of the above can easily be tracked elsewhere or nowhere.


My blog has been a cool way for me to maintain a journal, but I find myself censoring my own writing - that just ain't right man. Most of my opinions would be considered inflammatory and my wife, correctly I might add, tells me to "tone it down." Nowadays, isn't everyone offended by something? Me? I'm offended by those who are so easily offended. This part of Americana has become very annoying. People actually sue people because they allege they have been "offended."

For example, let's look at the marriage issue in California. The fine people of our neighbor to the west voted last November on the initiative - it didn't pass. Gay organizations nationwide were outraged - protests followed. Our church was even caught in the crossfire of this debate. The bottom line - the voters in California didn't support it. Now this issue is a divisive one and it is, arguably, only topped by the ongoing abortion debate. Hot button? Check. Since the celebrity faction supports this initiative, it gains traction and ends up on the docket at the California Supreme Court where it gets voted down (again) by a vote of 6-1.

Not satisfied, more prostests take place, more name-calling, etc. Does this mean the people of California have to vote on this issue EVERY SINGLE YEAR until it passes just so the gay crowd gets their way? I'd like to write down what I really think but my computer might just begin smoking.

Starting tomorrow, I get to write for me and if my posterity cares to pull up a chair and crack open my journal in 50 years and read about my expoits, and I hope they do, they will find a candid and humorous commentary on life in the middle of the 21st century.

I have to wonder what the United States will look like in 50 years....or a 100 hundred years. Imagine for a moment if you will all of the invention that has taken place over the past 100 years. It is truly amazing: Cars, airplanes, rockets, computers, television, DVD's, air-conditioning and TIVO were all invented in the last 100 years. Advances in medicine and healthcare were made over the past century that enable us to live longer more productive lives....so we can surf the internet and ride in airplanes, rockets, and cars WHILE watching TV. Seriously, haven't we invented all there is to invent over the past 100 years?

We're all on an adventure so buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Peace. Out.

It's been fun.

13 comments:

Trent said...

Your blog will be missed.

steve said...

wait, so is the blog dead, or just beginning? i'm confused

Alec and Tiffany said...

LAMO....don't do it. We'll miss you!

Keith A. Runyon said...

Steve: Blog is dead. Done. Kaput.

Alec/Tiff: What is LAMO?

steve said...

"Starting tomorrow, I get to write for me and if my posterity cares to pull up a chair and crack open my journal in 50 years and read about my expoits, and I hope they do, they will find a candid and humorous commentary on life in the middle of the 21st century."

So where does the journal start?

Keith A. Runyon said...

Steve,
You're not making any sense to me brother. First the question about the blog being dead or just beginning.... I thought the title, headstone and written content sort of of answered that question. No?

Your second post ended with, "Where does the journal start?"

Huh?

steve said...

your blog states, "Starting tomorrow, I get to write for me..." Where are you starting to write for you?

Janae' said...

Hmmmm. I sort of read that too. But I say....Baby don't go. Wait until football season. There will be loads to talk about when camps get rolling.

Lamo. Lame+O = Loser.

Don't do it. I'm just saying. No one likes a quitter.

Keith A. Runyon said...

Where am I starting to write for me? On my apple bro which is in da house.

On second thought, perhaps I will keep the blog AND my journal. The blog will attempt to be politically correct - granted there WILL be occasional lapses - while my journal would make a sailor blush.

LAMO? Thanks Janae....Tiff. Good to know. Now quit using that acronym for me.

Regardless of what I do, a hiatus is in order. Furthermore, whatever I do is inevitable.

The journey is long. It is interesting and it is fun.

I love my wife.

Heidi said...

As my parting comment, I would just like to add that the University of Utah sucks! Peace out, my friend. --Andrew

susan bunker said...

I hope you come back...after your hiatus of course! I could always count on a laugh out loud comment or two from you! Either way, you are a great writer, your posterity will enjoy your journal!

Carrie said...

Keith, you have the most funny, intersting, entertaining blog I read. Seriously! And I have discovered you are a great writer and have a lot of thought-provoking ideas. The sad thing about prop 8 (and I agree with you 100%) is that my own sister is on the other side of the issue and I have to tiptoe around her so I don't offend her. Well, I think I did offend her, but I had to stand up for protecting families, I just couldn't stand by and not say anything...... Anyway, come back soon. Your comments will be missed!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]alle wetter[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]das wetter im[b][/url]