Thursday, April 2, 2009

Memo to Self: You ARE NOT 20 Years Old

Corporate Challenge Update #2

Tonights game against an engineering and architectural firm kicked off the softball portion of the 2009 Las Vegas Corporate Challenge.

As you can see from the photos, I give it 100%. At times, this type of zeal can be a problem. You see, amazingly, age 20 was nearly 3 decades ago and there are parts of me that don't work the same as they did in the early 1980's. This is becoming more apparent to me lately.






Our team fell behind early but after a huge dose of PMA, we rallied late but ultimately lost 16-10. It was fun to see wives, kids and friends at the game. It was also great to see the number of company people turn out to actually play.

I have to confess though that we were all a bit stumped at first with the goofy softball rules. I thought that softball was just like baseball with the exception being you toss the ball underhanded and can't steal bases.

In this softball league, each batter already starts at 1 ball, 1 stike. After I yanked two balls left and foul I was called out - I don't get that rule at all. If a guy is walked on three straight pitches, the girl batter behind him automatically goes to first (while the guy marches to 2nd). There were some other assbackward rules that simply reiterate society's need to make things equal and less hard for the losers.




The true highlight of the game was a triple play we turned to end the first inning. We were getting settled in and were down a few runs. The bases were loaded....uh, oh. Dude hits a grounder to me at 3rd, I throw the runner out that was headed to home base, Ben who was behind the plate, catches the ball, steps on the base and zips one to Darion at 2nd, and then he spun and tossed out the runner heading to first. Yes, the batter heading to first was slow. Still, probably the most exciting play that field has ever seen. It's true, look it up.


During the game I was reminded that they don't call 3rd base the "Hot Corner" for nothing. Besides the usually large number of balls hit to the left side of the diamond during any softball game that has a lot of righthanded batters, there was one guy who was as wide as he was tall. He walloped a slow pitch right at me at full speed. All I could do was get my glove on it and knock it down lest it take out all of my teeth......just like I was teased last week by Wade. "Dude, you're gonna get your teeth knocked out."

Offensively I was a dud going 1 for 2 with a loopy single and the called out the foul ball I whacked. Defensively I managed with the exception of scuffing up my knee on a hard grounder. On one occasion I even elevated off the ground and made a catch of a line drive that was headed to left field turning my ankle in the process of landing. If it's not one thing it's another.

Summary of Injuries Tonight:

Knee (scuffed)
Ankle (twisted)
Elbow (bruised)
Back (TBD)
Ego (Bruised)

Next game: Tomorrow Night - 6:30pm. I can't wait.

5 comments:

steve said...

ROFL!!! dude, you should have asked about the softball rules, i could've updated you. the coed rule regarding girls walking is gay. also, in the coed leagues i've played in, if a guy hits one over the fence (yes i've done it numerous times) that's all 3 outs and your at bat ends. retarded is the only word i can come up with....

however, the fact that you lost really is no surprise considering the athletic talent level over there. if darion is playing short, that can't be a good thing...

if you were in a beer league you would have to buy beers for the whole team for striking out, or we also have a pink shirt that person has to wear for striking out as well...just some thoughts for tonight's game

Keith A. Runyon said...

Hey you aren't supposed to use the word retarded. It's not PC nowadays. It's true, look it up.

The fact that we lost the game is due more to the one practice we had on a football field than the level of talent on the team.

The cockamamie rules still don't make sense but at least now we KNOW about them. It didn't help that the wind was blowing pitches behind the batters back (I still tried to swing - I have a good motor).

One thing for sure though....a great time was had by all.

Heidi said...

The hardest working man in the insurance industry should stick with insurance! Are you even in the batter's box in that picture? It looks like you're batting 1/3 of the way to the pitcher. Who was pitching? Alice from accounting? --Andrew

steve said...

memo to keith: i think your Pony cleats are a little outdated. i don't even know if they make those anymore

Alec and Tiffany said...

I'm getting close to paying the 200 bucks to make it home for these upcoming games. They sound like a blast. What lame rules. All this PC bologna is a joke. I think that Steve's grand slams should be an ADVANTAGE to the team, not a disadvantage because you have to head to the outfield now. Dad, take that into consideration at your next game. Tone it down a little so that the ball just bounces off the wall for a stand up triple. I expect more updates.

ACR