Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Corporate Challenge Update: Track and Field

Let's not forget about the corporate challenge folks.

Next week I'm entered in the following events (my wife is laughing out loud by the way):

100 meter sprint
Shot Put
Softball Toss (I guess the javelin toss proved to be too dangerous)

My last sprint race was in Jamaica in '05. I lost to one of the stable boys at the horse ranch in Bluefields. My first step was good, explosive to be sure, and then I sort of ran out of gas by the 3rd step, kicked it into another gear and finished strong barely losing out. The kid was scared I would beat him.

I've never done the shot put before in my life, but I have watched it on TV a couple of times. Can't be that hard.

As for the softball toss, get out the gold medal because no one will beat me in this event. After my shoulder surgery a few years back I've been able to throw everything from water balloons to frisbees with exceptional distance and accurancy. Ask anyone I've been to the beach with - my passes on the deep fade route into the surf were spot on this past summer. I will throw my arm out if I have to to win this event.

The good news is that all of the events are age restricted. This means I'll be competing against other old fat guys in the 45-49 year old bracket. Of course there's the off chance that some real runner-fitness freak will show up. In that case, I'll just have to bump him out of his lane. I'm not too worried about it.

I opted out of the flag football game tonight. The potential for me to forget my age and act like I'm 20 is everpresent and I'm still not 100% after my softball injuries. Another week to heal the ankle and knee for the track and field competition is needed.

I'll post pictures next week.

2 comments:

Janae' said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

steve said...

no show, right?