Saturday, May 1, 2010

May Day

To say that the past few weeks have been interesting would be an understatement.




The NFL draft was last week - Jake and I must have sent each other a thousand text messages debating picks, 40 yard dash times, cone drill speed, vertical jump height and so forth. Frankly, it's exhausting maintaining all of this information inside our brains but it's football and we love it.

We leave in a few days for Salt Lake City to attend Alec's graduation from the University of Utah. He is graduating summa cum laude with a degree in physics and minors in mathematics and chemistry.



We are all proud of his accomplishment and the dedication he put forth for this achievement. He could not have done this without the support of his lovely wife Tiffany so props to you girl. You rock.

Jake and Alec also helped coach the Highland High tennis team this spring under the direction of my longtime friend Mark Foote MD.



Today they reported that the team won the region and will be moving on to the state championships. It's neat at their age to have this kind of experience. I expect they even tossed a few gold bricks to the players such as, "Hit winners, don't make any unforced errors, and get your first serve in." Tennis is such an easy sport.




We were also blessed with the wonderful news a few months ago that Alec and Tiffany are expecting a baby in September - a girl.




This will be a new experience for the Runyon family. My father was one of three boys, I was one of two boys and Janae and I have 2 boys....I'm sure we'll figure it out. I'm told girls are easy. Haha. Admittedly, I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a boy since I had picked out the perfect name for the little fella... Earl. It's so old school cool that you know the kid's nickname would be "The Pearl." Plan 'B' even though they are having a girl is to name her "Gearl." Not holding out much hope for that one though.

The fierce Las Vegas winds have been blowing for a week now and it drives me crazy. Everything in a 4 block radius seems to wind up in our pool - even our yard furniture. My dad warned me 35 years ago that having a pool was overrated. I didn't listen - obviously. In Las Vegas, we really don't have a choice since it's often 115 degrees plus in the summer I find myself returning calls at 5pm from the pool with my head barely above the water cooling off. It gets so hot even the dogs go and stand in the pool.




Jake and I figured out that the NBA regular season is pretty much just a waste of time and that the real fun starts when the playoffs begin. Here's our philosophy: If a team is to win the title they have to eventually beat the Lakers...first round, second round, conference finals...whatever. The seeding process doesn't really matter. You have to win 4 series to get the title - no other way around it. Sometimes our genius is underrated.



If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

- Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama

3 comments:

Alec and Tiffany said...

Great post! Life is great. We can't wait to have you up here. Nice pictures too!

ACR

Wendy said...

Ah hah but there is one girl in the family....distant but still here and PS I raised two girls....easy NOT moody crabby makes your head hurt...good luck to the two of them it will be an adventure..
Craig's daughter is also expecting any second now....don't know if it's a girl or boy they didn't want to know...keep you posted

Love you ...the only girl in the family until now willing to share the status...

Your sister Wendy

Keith A. Runyon said...

Wendy,
My dementia is starting early. You are absolutely right about girls in the family - I guess I just didn't have to put the toilet seat down (ever) while growing up. And you're not distant at all. My bad. I hope you had a great birthday.
Love,
Keith