Monday, March 2, 2009

Jake's Adventures in Ecuador




Judging from the pictures Jake sent to us today from Ecuador, it looks like he's in the middle of the rainy season right now. As missionaries for our church, they pretty much walk everywhere. And when it rains and turns the streets to mud, or worse, into small streams, well that's when the boy in all of us, including Jake, comes out. They usually have boots/waders that come up to their knees to wear, but that's when they plan ahead and have an idea of what the weather is doing. I'm just not so sure the village of El Triunfo is that plugged into the weather service or if the country even cares about such things. I have found the Latins of South America to be patient and low-key.

Jake's has a comedic personality like everyone in our family, and funny stuff just always seems to follow us around - North America/South America/Europe - no matter. Jake's latest adventure was last week. He summarizes it below.

"Then on wednesday, I had an unforgettable experience. Mom, it's a good thing that you weren't here, because you would of thrown down with an 87 year old lady. We were teaching her son, and she basically hates us. She always bugs us in the lesson by coming and talking about why the catholic church is the only true church. Well Wednesday we were lucky because she was sound asleep in the hammock under the tree. So we started to teach the son, and right as we were ending the lesson she woke up and comes running over to where we are and goes off. She yells at her son, "why did you let these DEMONS enter our house? They come to teach the doctrine of the devil." The son chuckled at this remark, so did my companion and I. Then I told her, "We are leaving now, we just want to end with a prayer." I asked her son to say it, and I bowed my head, and before he starts the prayer. WHACK!!! That old lady catches me with a cheap one, and hits me right in the head. Now my companion can attest, this wasn't a "You are bugging me" assault that she hit me with. This was a closed fist punch to the back of the head. I looked up, and the son started to yell at the mom, and I just smiled and laughed with my companion. I said, "Lets try to pray again", and she said, "Then pray." I kept my head up, and she asked, "Why dont you bow your head." I said, "The last time I did that, someone whacked me in the head." She got mad, stormed away and we prayed."

Good Stuff.

We also got his release date. 12/14/09. 9 1/2 months to go. We're going down to pick him up like we did with Alec in Peru.

Time flies.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

That is awesome. Makes me miss Chile.

Alyssa Joy said...

Aww Jakey... I love him! You guys sure lucked out with your boys!

Keith A. Runyon said...

Uh.....It wasn't luck

steve said...

just catching up on the blog, brother. it's been a while because of this new (old?) facebook thing for me...good recent posts, especially glad you are back on the golf course.

Alec and Tiffany said...

6 days since your last post. This could be a record. I guess this is what we get now that you've got yo golf game back...

ACR