Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Done Deal

Las Vegas to Salt Lake City and back in 27 hours and not a hiccup....unusual for me.

As previously reported, I was towing a trailer full of baby furniture and loot from the shower and returning with some furniture and odds and ends from our place in SLC.

Not only did I pull off this transportation feat, there weren't even any close calls or stories to tell. None. In fact, I was so tired on the drive up, I placed our lives and the life of my unborn grandchild in the hands of my daughter-in-law who showed her moxie by driving 80MPH while towing a trailer rated for 55MPH. She easily drove 1/3 of the way. Gutsiest move I ever saw. We love her.

The ride back was even less stressful - Jake and I loaded up on donuts, juice and diet pepsi for a true 'Breakfast of Champions' and sped back down the I-15 in record time for towing a trailer. This makes 2 speed titles in the past 2 months. For the record though, I'm done driving. I hate road trips. I'd rather go to the dentist - really.

So as the dog days of summer linger upon us, thoughts turn to Oceanside and sun-drenched days at the beach. I'm down for 2 weeks this year and am going to enjoy every minute of my time there. We return to North Coast Village after a year's absence. Last summer we rented a house just south of the pier - it was nice to be sure, but the absence of people on the beach made for lousy people watching. At NCV, we choose our spot for the week and camp out; the people watching is extraordinary and constant...sort of like living theater. It's better than the people watching in airports by far.

Since the dog days also mean zero meaningful sports, I've been able to dial in on some reading material I've wanted to get to and have been enjoying my iPad (aka Maxipad) although I do find it somewhat unwieldy in comparison to the Kindle for reading books. The Kindle is smaller and fits on one's hands better than the iPad but that's where the Kindle's capacity ends. Jake was watching the World Cup final on the maxipad during our drive to Utah. TV in the palm of your hand????? The apocolypse is near. What next? Flying cars?

Here at the house, it's an early morning and the Chief of Security (Ray Ray) is all wound up. A new dog in the neigborhood means a new sound for him to get all worked up about so the neighbors are being treated to a bark-a-thon at 7am. I'm sure they love it.

Alec and Tiffany move to Reno in a few days and Janae will fly up next week to help them unpack and get settled in. Seems like yesterday when the boys were in grade school and we were dropping them off at Derfelt Elementary School....Time marches on, things change. Accept it.

I like the quote, "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

So go out and live your life on your terms - it's the only life you have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are hilarious. love the way your write! :]

Unknown said...

And that made me similar to you when that fear surpasses your soul. I was a different kid. I loved visiting my dentists. In Hattiesberg Ms, where I spent my first five years of life, I've been always oriented to the pleasure of dentist visits. And why? 1. I was an introvert kid and I wasn't into the weekly Saturday gathering held in our village park, so atleast every once a month, I got to escape it. 2. My dentist was my uncle, and I loved being with him. Every after visit, it was a sure thing that I would be going home with a candy treat. And last 3. My uncle's clinic had a monthly motif/design-change. Sometimes Sesame Street, Carebears and so on.

I grew up with a notion of dentists as good people. I first saw it in my uncle and just grew up with that. I was raised with that, and ended up like that. Yes I am a dentist and I am gladly serving Hattiesburg.
Dentists
are good people remember – just like clowns!