Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Golf Warrior's Surgery

Surgery is PAINFUL

I totally underestimated the:

a) pain
b) fuzzyheadedness
c) pain
d) inability to move the arm operated on
e) pain
f) soreness


Since I'm impatient, I was, I HAD to be, the first patient (pun intended) of the day for Dr. Strangelove and his sidekick Nick the Greek.

6am comes early.

The last thing I remember before the procedure commencing was laying face-up on the operating table and making wisecracks about Michael Jackson's choice of sleeping medicine when I began to feel the anesthesia creeping into the veins in my right forearm. Just like the man said, it burned.

I woke up in the middle of a circus. Things were all fuzzy - my eyeballs were glazed over and I couldn't make things out quite right...other patients were being wheeled into the recovery room and there were Philipino nurses everywhere. This posed a problem since they all looked alike and I couldn't remember who I gave my soda and ice order to. Very frustrating since I didn't have my voice back yet to bark at people because my throat was sore from the intubating tube that was placed there during surgery.

Then it hit me. My left arm felt like 200 pounds of concrete had been poured into it.

Reality had just come into focus.

At this point, let's face it, with all the meds in my body I didn't feel any pain however I was definitely stoned and was thoroughly enjoying the recovery room chaos going on all around me.

As mightily as she tried, my lovely bride hit every bump on the ride home. I know this since I bit my lip over each one. My lip is now nearly as sore as my shoulder.

Stumbling home in my sling wearing shorts, Hawaiian shirt, sneakers, and faggy white leggings that are used to help prevent blood clots, I was quite the sight.






Come to think of it, I look like a white basketball player in the hood.

The day of the operation remains pretty much a blur - a combination of getting up early, not getting enough sleep, being doped up, cut on, poked around in, having my bones be shaved, scraped and drilled into was enough for one day. Thankfully there is Ambien which helped me sleep the night away in painfree slumber.




The next day was very rough but that's always the case with any injury. By evening, my appetite returned and I began to feel better. I was off the pain meds by day 3.

This day was excellent because I took off all the bandages, threw away my sling, tossed the leggings in the trash 7 days too soon, and took a nice long shower. I laughed at how lame I must have looked trying to wash under my left arm. The folly of my predicament just made me laugh out loud......as my eyes teared up from the soreness.

Doc told me today to keep the arm moving. He presented me with full color photos of the before and after shots of the surgery just so I knew he really did something in there. My golf game is on hold until October although I can practice my putting and chipping anytime I would like. This will actually be good for my game. Everyone needs a better short game. Just ask Tom Watson.

To my surprise I had not 3 incisions in the shoulder but 4. The labrum tear was slightly worse than he thought and he needed another hole to insert an arthroscope to properly anchor the labrum back to the bone with sutures that looked to me like multi-colored rope and some metal doohickeys that he popped in there.

He was all jacked up pointing out this and that on the photos but it was all Greek to me. The muscles all looked like chicken breasts, and the torn labrum part looked like when I'd tear the turkey meat off the bone at Thanksgiving.

If the turkey were still alive, he'd need this type of surgery too.

9 comments:

Janae' said...

Oohhh poor popooski. Leggings in the summer are sooo uncomfortable.

I'm so happy your handsome smile is back.

I'm not really at home in the caretakers role.
In my dream world it would go like this.
Here's your pills.
Theres the bedroom.
Don't whine.
Come out when you feel better.

Oh well-you were a very good patient.

Can we please move into a new chapter of our lives? One that does NOT include any discussions about your medical issues. PUH-LEASE.

Keith A. Runyon said...

The last sentence of your post DID sound just a little whiney.

Just alittle.

Care for some cheese with that whine?

LOL

Janae' said...

Sleep Apnea

My back arthritis

My back tendentitis

"I need an MRI"

K: I want a CAT scan.
J: Why?
K: I don't know. I just think I need one.

K:WHY DOES THE PHONE RING SO MUCH?????.they J:They are all from dr's reconfirming your darn appts.

Bloodwork
Left shoulder
EKG's
Spinal injections

K:"honey" will you pick up my precriptions?
J:At Walgreens? (3 blocks from our house)
K:No! Go to the Mountain View Hospital guy...his wife reminds me of Suzanne Sommers"

More sleep studies
Right shoulder
Mesquito bites

K:I need sleeping pills I have too much energy

K: I need energy pills I'm too sleepy

K:Tim Rissert died...I need to have my arteries checked


SNL called...they are thinking of doing a sketch.

Heidi said...

I want to see Keith wearing those leggings on the beach - I'd pay top dollar for that!
- Heidi

Keith A. Runyon said...

Very funny. Very clever. I am getting put back together like Lee Majors in the $6 million dollar man.

Please forward Conrad Murray's call to my cell phone.

Bahaahaaaaaaaaa

Keith A. Runyon said...

You know, the leggings weren't bad Heidi. I did ask if they came in a fishnet.

This quip resulted in laughter all around in the recovery room.

Alec and Tiffany said...

HAHA! Mom is on a roll! I hope that recovery is going fast and well. Don't be "macho" and jump the gun by playing football out front. Get feeling better. Jake gets home soon and needs his healthy dad!

ACR

steve said...

too funny, Janae. Don't let up on him. You've got him down to a T

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can reveal that I approve of with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is still a suspect as you did in the downgrade efflux of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=xp tools pro 8.1 ?
I noticed the axiom you suffer with not used. Or you partake of the dreary methods of promotion of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg