Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Week in Solitary Confinement

Among my shorting comings is a lack of patience. This is something I struggle with every day of my life.

Add that little personality hiccup to being sick to the point of not leaving the house or shaving for the past 6 days and I look like Ted Kaczynski.



Scruffy, hair unkept....... Being stuck in the house for 144 hours is taking it's toll on me.

Janae was out of the country for a spell so I was left to my own to self-medicate....I never do this good and it obviously didn't work out well. I was using leftover antibiotics from some shoulder surgery last summer....I even found some of grammy's cough medicine that had to be at least 13 months only, and tossed down whatever else Google and I could thought might help me. Didn't work. But I did watch some Patrick Swayze films over the weekend that were breathtakingly bad. Women liked this scrawny dude?

When Janae got home, things began to look up. She got the Doc on the line and hooked me up. I now take pills the size of batteries and wash them down with vitamin powdered water.



This has helped my throat and the itching in my ears that earlier made me want to take a piece of iron rebar and insert it in my ear to scratch the hell of it - push it through even...Yeah, that itchy.

Since the first few days swallowing felt like I was tossing back shots of broken glass I really didn't eat much and just groaned like all men do thinking this is it. This is the illness that will take my life. I just made sure that my underwear was clean like mom taught me.

I am also on some steroid medication that aside from shrinking my testicles and making my head big I'm not sure what it supposed to do. But I'll be a force to reckon with come softball this spring. Chicks dig the long ball.

I've been out of the loop so long I have trouble figuring out which day it is. I am deeply saddened that I cannot make the trip to Utah for the Ute-Cougar game. The Utes are going to run all over these guys - the crowd will be electric and the hatred between the squads is legendary. Possibly the most heated rivalry in the galaxy. I will be fiercely cheering on the Utes from afar.





Thoughts go out to the folks in Chile after their recent earthquake. Chile's quake was 8.8 on that scale no one knows what it means. This was one of the biggest quakes ever recorded...to the point it SHIFTED THE EARTHS AXIS so we lose like 1 millisecond a day now. That's a monster quake people. I looked up the formula to the richter scale and I found it had 3 numerals, 10 letters and a couple of symbols equation. My math uses numbers - thats it. Alec, little help on the richter scale eh buddy?


Olympics? They were okay. Even with the games on the west coast, ESPN still beat NBC by telling us the winners since the TV coverage was just so assbackwards. Things about the Olympics stick out:

1) I loved the hockey and was bummed that the USA lost the gold. Should have played double elimination.
2) I'm was sick of hearing aboutg Lindsey Vonn's shin - worse than Albert Freeney's ankle pre-SB.
3) Love Bode Miller. He does it his way. I like his attitude.
4) Freestyle skiing and freestyle aerials are my favorite competitions to watch.
5) Shawn White is a likeable dude - and his stunts are jaw-dropping.
6) Finally, I'm tired of Apolo.

I heard that some people actually go into a post-olympic depression that requires medical treatment. While this sounds absurd, I know for sure that millions of men go into a post football depression so maybe there is some truth to that statement.

3 comments:

Alec and Tiffany said...

Love the post. What roids are you taking? About the Richter scale...the reason why nobody gets it is because it isn't linear. Temperature, speed, distance, acceleration, etc. are all linear measurements.

The Richter scale uses logarithms which is basically like going up by a power of 10. Long story short, 8.8 is baaaad...earth shattering bad (get it? earth's day is shorter now...I crack myself up.)

ACR

Keith A. Runyon said...

Alec, explain the richter scale like you would to a 5th grader. I still don't get it.

Haven't had roid rage yet either...whew.

Heidi said...

Hey, who won that BYU-Utah game? I can't remember.