Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Perspective

I can't help but think of what it is like in Haiti right now.

Most of the time my blog posts drip with sarcasm but tonight as I sit down to write my first post of the new year, I am overwhelmed by the human suffering going on in Port-au-Prince.



I've been to many poor parts of the world and even in good times, without a natural catastrophe, most of these people struggle just to eat and live their lives each day in peace.

I've been to Haiti - before the government got a little dicey. Okay, a lot dicey. Our cruise ship had anchored a few hundred yards offshore so we took a ferry to an island retreat owned by the cruise company. A gated and guarded retreat. At the end of a day at the beach, I was buying some souvenirs at a shop and looked up, not 50 feet away, to see hundreds of Haitian's lined up along the fence just staring with a sort of lost look in their eyes at the many loud, sunburned (not me), and crass (not me either) Americans. The chasm that separated our lives was apparent to me perhaps like no other time before in my life. Some experiences in life you just don't forget.




I've had a very good and privileged life. The thought of not having essentials like food, medicine, clothing and a roof over my head has never once entered into my noggin'. Most of us take that stuff for granted. I grew up in the Golden Age of America. In the 1960's we kicked ass. As schoolkids were we pretty much taught that the United States wasn't only the land of the free, but the best place to live for dozens of reasons. We built the best stuff - remember when we'd laugh at stickers that said "Made in Japan?" - mom's stayed home, television was wholesome, athletes were role models and so on. I loved every second of my life growing up. My wife and I playfully argue about who had the better gig growing up. It's a tie.

As I get older, each calamity, be it an earthquake, tidal wave (can't spell Tsunami), hurricane or, sadly, those man-made catastrophes like school shootings or the bombing death of so many innocent people compels me revisit what is truly important in life. These thoughts become more important the older I get as the man-made stuff, alas, becomes more frequent.

On one hand, I am grateful to have my health back. After struggling with sleep apnea for a few years, I no longer have to use the magic sleep machine. I'm cured. Recent sinus surgery and shoulder surgery over the summer, both of which were optional, are procedures that we often take for granted. I know I do. In most parts of the world, if you shoulder aches, surgery isn't an option - chew on a cocoa leaf. These procedures made me better than before. I feel 30 and act, still, live I'm 15. Sorry Janae.

We probably throw out more food than we eat. Our dogs and cats live better than most people. I have and absurd number of high def TV's (13), more cars than I can drive, more bedrooms than I need, more houses than I can live in and yet I often bitch about my lot in life.

Then something like an earthquake happens.

My priorities re-calibrate.

It's about perspective man.

I know I'm not alone in this "me first" thinking. Rational self-interest is programmed into our DNA. At some point however we humans learned to have compassion for others and times like today weigh heavy on all of our hearts.



My plea tonight is that you toss the relief effort in Haiti a few bucks through the aid organization of your choice - you will be glad you did.


And "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff." Like the book by Richard Carlson of the same name only he added, ".....and it's all small stuff."

Except earthquakes.

1 comment:

Alec and Tiffany said...

Insightful post. We take things for granted every single day. We can't wait to see you up here. Life is great.

ACR